S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Front wheel stud replacement

Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel stud replacement

I've read through the helm manual, Rob Robinettes blog, and a bunch of threads here; I know the proper procedure for replacing front wheel studs involves replacing the bearing as well. But when time is limited (trackside, autox etc.), is it acceptable to pull the hub out, hammer out the broken stud, press in a new stud and reuse the bearing? I broke a front stud last night and with the NE tour in 3 days I'm not sure I'll have enough time to deal with the bearing as well. If I can just replace the stud and safely make it through the weekend I'd plan on replacing the bearing next week. Is what I described a possibility?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and people hate wheel bolts on VW/BMW/Lotus/Mini for some reason.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For autox I wouldn't worry too much about the weekend's safety. You can replace the bearing later.

Although, the local Honda dealership might have the bearing on site. And most shops could press the item in for you same day if you drop it off.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 AM

Austin,

I broke a single stud once and did not need to replace all of them. I was in a similar pinch for time, so I took it to a local tech and with some hard work, he was able to find a way to replace it without removing all that. I don't have the details as to how he did it, but it was done. In your situation, it might be the way to go. I wonder if someone has posted a DIY on S2KI on that.

Note: We eventually replaced all the studs with longer ones, and that was certainly worth the effort of pressing the bearing.

-Dave
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 AM

Cant just hammer put and press in. Not enough clearance. Only way to change fast is have a whole knuckle to replace it with.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:05 AM

And i have done the job, you can get the old stud out but there is absolutely no way to get new ones in without them being way to short or cutting the hub. I wouldnt even try cutting a hub.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 AM

It looks like you can remove the axle nut and pull the hub out of the spindle. The bearing will separate as the inner ring is pressed onto the hub so I guess my question was whether or not the bearing can be reassembled (assuming everything looks to be in good condition).
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't just "pull the hub out of the spindle". It is pressed in as well. It has to be pressed out, which is why the bearing separates. You will never get the hub out of the knuckle with it still on the car. I have changed several of these and it takes a shop press and the knuckle off. Like someone else said, a spare fully built knuckle is the only quick change. You can always just run with 4 studs. I am sure I will get flamed, but for autocross, it would probably be fine. There are many models of cars that still use only 4 lug hubs/ wheels.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the clarification. You're probably right about running with 4 studs but it wouldn't pass tech and I'd rather not take the chance. I found a machine shop to press in new bearing and studs, should be ready in time.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I have done it. After removing the knuckle, just press the hub out about half an inch, this gives you room to hammer out and replace the stud. Then press is back together and crank it down, bearing will be just fine... usually ... lol

Quick Reply: Front wheel stud replacement