S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Gauge Recommendation?

Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gauge Recommendation?

Hey R&C,

I was wondering what you guys thought are the most essential gauges? I have been considering getting an oil pressure gauge, and maybe an analog water temp gauge. (I'd have to do some research, I'm not exactly sure how I would go about hooking up an oil pressure gauge.)

What are your thoughts? If you could put one gauge, what would you put? I have yet to run into any issues, but with summer starting to hit, I would like to have a bit better of a handle on my cars vitals at the track..

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chugs
Hey R&C,

I was wondering what you guys thought are the most essential gauges? I have been considering getting an oil pressure gauge, and maybe an analog water temp gauge. (I'd have to do some research, I'm not exactly sure how I would go about hooking up an oil pressure gauge.)

What are your thoughts? If you could put one gauge, what would you put? I have yet to run into any issues, but with summer starting to hit, I would like to have a bit better of a handle on my cars vitals at the track..

Thanks!
ARK Design MFD2 is one option:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...erheating.aspx

It'll read the coolant temp straight off the ECU. You can add additional oil pressure and temperature gauges.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I could only use one gauge, I would use a digital OBDII gauge, because it only takes up the space of one gauge, but you can choose from any/all of your existing sensors, or use external sensors wired into the back of the gauge.

I use this one:
http://www.brockwayengineering.com/dgauge.html

Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by speedengineer
If I could only use one gauge, I would use a digital OBDII gauge, because it only takes up the space of one gauge, but you can choose from any/all of your existing sensors, or use external sensors wired into the back of the gauge.

I use this one:
http://www.brockwaye...com/dgauge.html

This is cool. If this works for AEM EMS I would ditch all my gauges and buy this instead.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it's a nice product but 350$ for OBD2 reader gauge it's way too much when today with your smartphone and 20$ bluetooth adapter you can have it all (except exteranl sensors).
Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 AM

Yeah, I hear ya. I used to use my phone for in-car lap times, but it was a huge hassle - you have to take it in and out of the car each session (since you want to use it as a phone in between sessions...), make sure it connects to bluetooth and starts recording, deal with the battery going low really fast (or with charging cables). Big pita. If prefer the dedicated gauge because I don't have to do anything to it, it starts automatically when the car starts.

Plus I use it for the shift light output, which works really well. Soon to be using external sensors too.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 AM

I have a wideband and the OBDII interface for my Racepak, the only sensor from it I really watch real time is coolant temp, I will be adding oil pressure eventually.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Originally Posted by Chugs' timestamp='1337210901' post='21704901
Hey R&C,

Thanks!
ARK Design MFD2 is one option:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...erheating.aspx

It'll read the coolant temp straight off the ECU. You can add additional oil pressure and temperature gauges.
I was running the MFD setup on the Modifry bracket on my last S and it was awesome. The only thing is the screen is a little small but other than that it's definitely one of the cleanest gauge solutions out there. Unfortunately I heard ARK is closing its US location so it might be hard to get products/support from them in the future.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedengineer
Yeah, I hear ya. I used to use my phone for in-car lap times, but it was a huge hassle - you have to take it in and out of the car each session (since you want to use it as a phone in between sessions...), make sure it connects to bluetooth and starts recording, deal with the battery going low really fast (or with charging cables). Big pita. If prefer the dedicated gauge because I don't have to do anything to it, it starts automatically when the car starts.

Plus I use it for the shift light output, which works really well. Soon to be using external sensors too.
i hear you too
i sold my scangauge in favour of phone and adapter.
if standalone reader - there are few decent ones which cost ~60$.
to pay today 350$ for a reader is really a lot...
Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 AM

which ones are around $60?

Quick Reply: Gauge Recommendation?