S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Gendron bar dimensions

Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gendron bar dimensions

Anyone know the dimensions of the center section of the gendron bar, specifically the length and tooth count?

Also, anyone know the distance between the inside edges of the 2 sway bar brackets? Specifically, I'm going to get a stepped up center bar, and need to know where to step the bar down to 1.25 to fit the brackets.

James Yom
Old 09-30-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My bar was 36"x1.25"x0.25" but I forgot to measure the splines. I am assuming it is a standard Speedway bar. The brackets mount very close to the outside but I didn't measure that distance:

Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 AM

I seem to recall it was somehow different from the standard size. The standard choices were either a little too short to have the arms clear the body or a little too long so the tires hit the arms at full lock. I priced it out, it's not too much more money just to buy the bar direct from Gendron and the fit is pretty good*, plus you save having to do the custom bending of the arms.

* That's assuming he's moved the mount down to keep the arms out of the steering rack boots...

It's not perfect either but I feel the 1.5" Ankeny design is vastly superior though, for not too much more money. The first time you have to adjust the bar between runs you'll laugh at how easy it is. Both designs are prone to wearing out endlinks fast though, assuming you have fairly rough roads like we have here. I put new endlinks on my Ankeny bar about 2 months ago - they're already rattling over little bumps. I had a similar endlink lifespan on the Gendron bar.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 AM

I'm guessing Yommer already has a Gendron bar he's looking to upgrade.

The standard stepped bars Speedway sells are 37.5" You'll need a 36", which they will make for you. I'm not sure how much you'll need of 1.25" to clear the brackets. 2.5~3" should be good. I know the standard brackets (Energy Suspension part # 9.5165) are 1.375" wide. I can measure the spacers I didn't use (went with split lock collars instead) on my install and should give you a good idea of how much you need. Spline count is 48.

I bet if you talk to the right guy you can even get him to look up the past order for SFR and get the measurements

Now to hijack. imstimpy, do you have any more pictures of those brackets?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Thanks Pete. Yeah, need to get a larger middle section. So it'll be a 36 inch long bar, with 48 tooth count. Who/what is SFR?

James Yom
Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SFR = Small Fortune Racing = Bill Gendron.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM

Hello all, Just want to speak up and clear up a few things about sway bars.

First, Small Fortune Racing (SFR) is the name of my shop and I make the "Gendron Bar" (not my idea, somebody else started the name thing). Second, I have found that the 36" bar is the optimum length for clearance, etc. The bars are 48 spline. I do keep bars on the shelf, including the stepped up "Monster Bar".

I continue to build new parts for many cars and this year released a new Ball Bearing mount for the S2000 (it is stiffer than the stock mount, smoother operating, eliminates greasing and lowers the bar away from the steering rack).

I have made changes over the years to improve the fit/clearance/adjustment of my kit, but have always stayed with the splined/solid arm bar. This type of construction yields a more linear torsional response than a "blade adjustment" type bar due the out of plane bending inherent with the the blade type. This linear characteristic gives a feel that is better for most drivers.

I encourage anyone who is interested in more info about these parts or has questions to contact me directly at 413 267 0904.

Bill Gendron
Old 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Hey Bill,

Welcome to S2ki! I didn't know you actually made a larger-than 1.25 inch bar that you kept in stock (I thought the 1.375 was just a custom run). I'll contact you on about the "monster" bar. Thanks for posting!

James Yom
Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Ok, so if anyone wants to know, the bar dimensions are 36 inches long, 48 count spline, and if you wanna do a stepped bar, the middle portion is 28 inches (finally got a chance to measure it myself). Now the question is, do I go with 3/8, or do I go with 1/2? I don't want to get the 3/8, only to have to go full stiff on that...

James Yom
Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this on another thread, but it's relevant here as well. From Bill Gendron when I asked a similar question:

[QUOTE]Here are a couple of thoughts about big bars/mounts:

Quick Reply: Gendron bar dimensions