S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

getting started...

Old 01-17-2001, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what high performance driving/racing schools would you guys suggest? i don't want to spend too much $$. and i want to use the stook, not their cars...i live in the bay area...
Old 01-17-2001, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by enLihtninBoy
what high performance driving/racing schools would you guys suggest? i don't want to spend too much $$. and i want to use the stook, not their cars...i live in the bay area...
The best bang for the buck is the SCCA autocross program. The SanFran Region is one of the biggest regions in the conuntry and has lots of events and competition. They should have a novice program to match. Start with http://www.sfrscca.org/index.phtml and check out the contacts for what you're interested in.
Old 01-18-2001, 07:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd also recommend some open track days. I know that NASA (National Auto Sport Association) is pretty active in No. Cal. and runs events at pretty much every track up that way. I'm thinking about going to their open track day at Laguna Seca in a couple of months. They also run Thunderhill and Sears Point that I know of. I wish I knew their website address but I don't. I recommend track days because they're relatively inexpensive and they have instructors who will go with you and help you improve. If you'll let them they'll even drive your car and show what it's really capable of so you know what to work towards yourself.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:39 AM

you guys talk about scca and nasa as if you just go and drive...is there some sort of a more formal school, something like skip barber, or russell racing? what do you suggest in this area...
Old 01-18-2001, 01:00 PM

enLihtninBoy,

I've never been, but:

http://www.thunderhill.com/school.html

If you go, tell me how it is!
Old 01-18-2001, 01:11 PM

i'm signing up right now...
Old 01-19-2001, 01:57 PM

If you want a "real" school, Bonderant is great, but *expensive*. Personally, I think the opentrack stuff like NASA is way better bang for the buck, but you'll get more in-depth at something like Bonderant.
Old 01-20-2001, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by enLihtninBoy
you guys talk about scca and nasa as if you just go and drive...is there some sort of a more formal school, something like skip barber, or russell racing? what do you suggest in this area...
You CAN do that but it's much better if you participate in the novice school (much less formal than a race track school) and the autox series. You'll get more time for less money and have more real-world experience to boot (yes, I know that road race time is extensive but few people drive 80-130MPH on their ways to and from work).

In my not so humble opinion, autox teaches you more of what you can use than track time. You can learn all about oversteer without bending the car. And the consensus seems to be that autocrossers make better road-racers than road-racers make autocrossers...
Old 01-20-2001, 09:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat [B]
Old 01-20-2001, 09:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat [b]

Quick Reply: getting started...