S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GoPro GPS Data/Telemetry

Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
I like the stabilization, I just wish there was a way to fix the weird panning it does in corners. It can get kind of weird in tracks that have a lot of longer corners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX8Q8FOXyBQ

Interesting, that is what I get for not really exploring the app. I appreciate it
I have only tried it at one track but I never experienced that panning issue. I wonder if they've fixed it. Have you updated the camera's firmware recently?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Joseph, did you enable youtube's "shake" fix? That might be part of the weird video.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:51 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by j0oftheworld
Joseph, did you enable youtube's "shake" fix? That might be part of the weird video.
Hey Jason -- that is a good point. Unfortunately, the raw video is the same as on YT.

Originally Posted by the-moss
I have only tried it at one track but I never experienced that panning issue. I wonder if they've fixed it. Have you updated the camera's firmware recently?
I bought it last month and updated the FW right away, I'll see if there is anything new out.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Jub

Received 392 Likes on 312 Posts

Welp, I ended up buying the Hero 7 with a few extra batteries which really came in handy. Their telemetry is nice and easy to add in but I haven't figured it all out yet. I also don't think it's tremendously accurate unless I pulled 2+ g's braking and turning into a corner at an autocross on a slippery surface. Next step is to figure out a nice editing software. I'm definitely a noob but GoPro Quik seems pretty crappy. I really don't need anything fancy at this point, just the ability to cut videos and not put in crappy music over everything. What does everyone recommend for a free editing software for windows?

Oh, and has anyone figured out the panning issue in steady state turns with hypersmooth? I've been shooting without hypersmooth on because otherwise it pans to the outside of every turn like shown above. Video quality is still pretty good though. We should all report the bug to GoPro so that they hopefully fix it. I've been trying to think what other sports would have a similar issue with steady g cornering like that.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Welp, I ended up buying the Hero 7 with a few extra batteries which really came in handy. Their telemetry is nice and easy to add in but I haven't figured it all out yet. I also don't think it's tremendously accurate unless I pulled 2+ g's braking and turning into a corner at an autocross on a slippery surface. Next step is to figure out a nice editing software. I'm definitely a noob but GoPro Quik seems pretty crappy. I really don't need anything fancy at this point, just the ability to cut videos and not put in crappy music over everything. What does everyone recommend for a free editing software for windows?

Oh, and has anyone figured out the panning issue in steady state turns with hypersmooth? I've been shooting without hypersmooth on because otherwise it pans to the outside of every turn like shown above. Video quality is still pretty good though. We should all report the bug to GoPro so that they hopefully fix it. I've been trying to think what other sports would have a similar issue with steady g cornering like that.
Any update on the hypersmooth panning issue?
Old 10-18-2019, 01:37 PM

It still exists with the latest firmware. I've come back to the "why do I spend money on GoPro products" stage of the cycle, I think I am just going to spend the money on the AIM stuff this time.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

What year s2k and how much is th3 gopro setup? You can just get an aem dash dusplay with gps logger for 1k and get all the stats you would want
Old 10-18-2019, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand
What year s2k and how much is th3 gopro setup? You can just get an aem dash dusplay with gps logger for 1k and get all the stats you would want
For a track car that money is probably better spent on an AIM Solo DL or Solo 2 DL.

For a camera, you spend the extra money for the AIM SmartyCam. It all works together as a nice package and most of the other serious people are probably also running AIM so you can overlay the data between sessions or after the fact.

Yes, it's more expensive but it holds its value well.

Anyway, just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

This is what i use: just my phone to record and video overlay the data afterwards:

Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 AM

Received 429 Likes on 365 Posts

I'm using Racechrono app on my phone for logging time, gps and ecu data (kpro bluetooth connection, you can choose whatever data you like to show).
Should work just as good with a flashpro as well.
Video is recorded on a cheap Sony HDR-AZ1 and then it's all combined with the overlay data using the Racechrono app.

Quick Reply: GoPro GPS Data/Telemetry