S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Helmets??

Old 12-13-2000, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I singed up for the John Eagle Honda Weekend at the Texas World Speedway. JEH is offering Bell Snell SA95 helmets for $100 off list (still $280).

Any experience with Bell helmets? I know I can do better on the Internet, pricing-wise, but I want to put the helmet on rather than trust labelled sizing. Other than price, what do you think?

P.S.: Is it true that JEH lets us run with our tops down? Excellent!!!
Old 12-13-2000, 01:22 PM

Bell's been making helmets forever. As long as it's DOT & Snell certified, no worries.

here's a decent place to buy helmets:
http://www.helmetshop.com
Old 12-13-2000, 01:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AATees:
[B]Any experience with Bell helmets?
Old 12-13-2000, 02:53 PM

vtecing-

The Bell Mag 4 is not one of the lighweights available on the market- in fact, it's probably one of the heaviest, especially for an open face!

People-

There's only one Snell SA2000 helmet available currently- the Stand 21 full face/open face with breakaway chin spoiler (street price of around $800). Most organizations will allow Snell SA95 helmet standards until the Snell SA2005 comes out. So, if you buy a Snell SA95 helmet now, it'll be good for quite a while. What you don't get is the higher degree of protection that the more recent, more stringent standards require- although some SA95 helmets on the market may (or may not) meet those guidelines.

Buy from a dealer that has a good assortment of automotive helmets in stock- that way you can test fit as many as possible. Remember that you'll have to drive with this brain bucket whenever you're on the track- so the last thing you want is poor fit. There are many brands to choose from- Bieffe, Arai, Simpson, Shoei, Stand 21, are just a few that I can think of immediately. Test fit the exact helmet you want- since most of these helmets are hand assembled, they ALL fit slightly different. The shop should also carry fitment pads to custom fit the helmet, and also be knowledgeable about the different standards about the helmets they sell. You will also want a helmet bag- the gel coating/light paintwork is expensive to repair, and later on you'll want that custom paintjob from someone like Troy Lee or Razor Image so that you won't look like such a newbie...

You should also make a conscious decision whether you want a full face or an open face- I recommend full face for any helmet that is used in a convertible- I use a full face in my hardtop cars too, because of an extra margin of safety. I also recommend always using the visor screen- you only have two eyes. Besides, when you decide to go to a open wheel school like Skip Barber you can use your own smelly helmet instead of their *really* smelly ones...

Remember one more thing- the most expensive helmet is not necessarily the best, but you do get what you pay for. A $200 helmet will not outperform a $700 helmet, but get the $700 one only if you want/need that performance.

-Nick
Old 12-13-2000, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by loki:
Bell's been making helmets forever. As long as it's DOT & Snell certified, no worries.

here's a decent place to buy helmets:
http://www.helmetshop.com
They don't appear to offer automotive helmets (SA rating) just motorcycle helmets (M rating).

Old 12-13-2000, 03:48 PM
Banned

Nick

Where are some good places in Chi-town to pick up a helmet?
Old 12-13-2000, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by GTRPower:
vtecing-
The Bell Mag 4 is not one of the lighweights available on the market- in fact, it's probably one of the heaviest, especially for an open face!
-Nick
I've tried on the Simpson, G-Force and Bell open face helmets. I thought they weighed about the same, but were noticeably lighter than a full face one. Helmets are a very subjective and personal item. You get the helmet quality and features you are willing to pay for. ie. if you are doing an endurance race, then the ultra-lightweight $$$ ones make more sense. Just make sure that it fits right on you.
-vtecing
Old 12-13-2000, 04:06 PM

Meat-

There were two very good places before the end of the summer... now there's one since one closed down.

Northstar Motorsports in Barrington, IL. Their address is-

28144 W. Industrial Ave. Suite 108.

(800)356-2080
www.northstarmotorsports.com

They're a big PCA supplier. They have *everything* you'll need. I strongly recommend visiting them to fit your helmet and Nomex suit purchases. They also have driving shoes, gloves, balaclavas, and pretty much everything under the sun for motorsports safety equipment. They sell Bell, Stand 21, Arai, and some Simpson helmets. I don't remember if they sold Shoei helmets.

Hope that helps you!

-Nick
Old 12-13-2000, 07:23 PM
pfb

Some on-line sources for SA helmets at good prices:

http://www.bellmotorsports.com/
Be sure to check out the closeouts!

http://www.ogracing.com/

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/helmet/

www.racerwholesale.com

Old 12-14-2000, 07:55 AM

Bell has a SA2000 helmet, the Sport II which list at $299.00. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Helmets??