S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hollow vs. Solid FSB

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hollow vs. Solid FSB

I posted this in the suspension section but I thought I would get a better response here.

I'm looking into purchasing a FSB for my AP2 but ha come across a minor question. I've noticed a few ba out there are hollow like the Eibach and others that are solid like the Saner. I just want to know if I will notice a difference if I got one over the other as far response.

The car is my DD, does see any track days or autox. currently lowered on Espelirs and has a Whiteline Xbrace.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 PM

If your not driving it on the track or an autoX than why do the mods?
If you want to stop the rear end twitch and snap- you can get a saner and put it on full stiff...it will drive like a front wheel drive car almost.

I have the Saner (solid bar) it is the stiffest as far as I know, and being solid it flexes less. But if the bars are adjustable, then you can make changes to suit what you want.

I would like to hear more about the eibach if anyone is using one.

I got the saner when I was autoXing, but now its a dedicated track car, and Ive lowered the stiffness. If I could get a light weight bar that would perform as well, I would change.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 PM

Solid is not necessarily stiffer without knowing the ID of both bars and the thickness of the hollow bar you really can't make any judgment.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 AM

The Eibach is 32mm (Hollow) and the Whiteline is 30mm (solid). I'm leaning more towards the Whiteline since it is solid and has less flex but the Eibach is a tiny bit larger. Will I notice the difference? Both are adjustable.

The reason for the FSB even though it sees no track action is because it will go to 255s all the way around..and reading a few threads w/ non staggered setup with a bigger bar seems to neutralize the twitchiness.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 AM

install wise, solid fsb's like saner are difficult to install by yourself, unless you flip the s upside down or have shoulder muscles the size of small pumpkins
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Regarding stiffness there is no diff if the material is the same Stifness is a function of the bars diameter ( r to the 4th power ). The strength should increase with a solid bar but so does the weight.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

there's a formula, gotta plug in the numbers and calculate it.

can't answer the question as-is
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

According to Eibach the stock 04 bar is about 214 lbs/in stiffness. The eibach bar is 368 lbs/in at one setting and 416 at the other setting.

If I do a quick calculation on the whiteline bar I get 375 lbs/in (this is only an approximation from estimates of the size of the bar - if you want a more exact number ask whiteline).

So most likely the whiteline is comparable to the softer setting on the eibach. The eibach is also adjustable, which is nice. The eibach is a little cheaper. Finally, since the eibach is hollow it's probably a little bit lighter.

Personally I'd do the eibach.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064,Jan 24 2011, 05:08 PM
According to Eibach the stock 04 bar is about 214 lbs/in stiffness. The eibach bar is 368 lbs/in at one setting and 416 at the other setting.

If I do a quick calculation on the whiteline bar I get 375 lbs/in (this is only an approximation from estimates of the size of the bar - if you want a more exact number ask whiteline).

So most likely the whiteline is comparable to the softer setting on the eibach. The eibach is also adjustable, which is nice. The eibach is a little cheaper. Finally, since the eibach is hollow it's probably a little bit lighter.

Personally I'd do the eibach.
Awesome! Thanks for a clear and concise response. I was leaning towards the Eibach as well. Hopefully I would need small pumpkins for shoulders to install it. I have about 127k on my endlinks...should I replace them or just make sure there in good order to reuse?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:26 PM

I would think the bar should come with new endlinks, especially if its adjustable.
(saner they include adjustable heim joint end links)
I would like to know the weight differences...

FYI Here are the Saner Bar Specs....

1.25" (31.75mm)
3 position adjustable
Soft Setting: 566.0LB/IN (91% Stiffer)
Center Setting: 644.0LB/IN (117% Stiffer)
Stiff Setting: 739.3LB/IN (150% Stiffer)

Quick Reply: Hollow vs. Solid FSB