S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Interpreting data loggers

Old 03-11-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interpreting data loggers

First data logger and i want to be able to use all the data to my advantage but it seems like some of the data is just gee wiz info. The main advantage to me is being able to see realtime the +/- of your lap times displayed while driving and to experiment and see the result of what you did differently and if it worked or not. But what is after that? How do you guys tear through all the data post event to improve? For exapmle, i dont understand the Gforce meter. I can feel when im at the edge of traction. Is it just gee wiz info or is there a way to read it and improve lap times. Also if you can point me in the right direction to any books would be helpfu. Im running the aim solo.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Data is much more helpful if you have a good driver turn some laps in your car. Then you'll have a baseline to see where you are losing time. You can also look at your section times. Divide the track up and pick your fastest times for each section through every session. Look at why you were faster in that particular section on that particular session and compare it to other sessions. You can continually improve on your own data this way but it does take much longer than having a pro in your car.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently this is a great book to help with data analysis. Also I've been speaking with guys who run courses as well do remote and on track coaching with data.

Here's Jorge Segers 2nd Edition of Analysis Techniques for Racecar Data Acquisition

http://books.sae.org/r-408/
Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I picked up the first addition used hard cover from BN for 64 shipped
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM

I have the book listed above and found it way too technical...found this one much more useful: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Sense-S...squiggly+lines
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM

I'm not an expert at looking at data, but there are few things you can quickly look at that can lead to big gains. Ideally you let an awesome driver take a few laps in your car and compare the data. These are a few things I quickly look at every time, then I decide where to look further based on what I find. I typically look at X vs Distance plots to get reference on the track.

Lateral G's - do all your peaks (left and right) have equal amplitudes? This is great to see if you aren't driving a corner(s) as well as other corners. This could be due to surface conditions, camber, or several other issues, but more often than not you just aren't at the limit in some corners as you are in others. This only tells you what YOU are leaving on the table, which assumes you are getting to the limit in at least one corner. This may not work very well if you have aero.

Longitudinal G's - Same thing as above, are you braking as hard as YOU can everywhere? Are your braking zones pointy on both sides and short duration, or do they ramp up quickly and taper off? Tapering off shows you are slowly releasing the brakes and that you could have moved your braking point back and brake later for a shorter duration. You can see trail braking on the brake plot as a sharp peak followed by a drop to a plateau. Are you trail braking because it helps set the additude of the car for that corner, or carrying a differing braking G to the corner turn-in? Does your ramp up to braking happen quickly? If there is a gradual rise in -G's then it shows you were costing after letting off the gas before getting on the brakes.

Velocity - Look at minimum speeds through the corners. Did you have a really good run through a corner, and if so, what did you do right that lap? Look at the slope of the braking zones, this is another way to determine if you aren't braking to your potential.

You can do all the same stuff with another driver.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Combined G's and delta T are also great functions. Combined G's tells you that you are driving the car at the limit while transitioning from braking at the limit to cornering at the limit. Delta T is great to spot losses in time from one lap to the next.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone use coaches for data analytics like Peter Krause?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM

Some good points. Just wanted to see what kind of info was out there before i dropped 70$ on a book.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:30 PM

I also like this one a lot:

http://www.cb-racing.com/book_MSSL.html

See also http://www.trailbrake.net/ for free tibdits of info.

Quick Reply: Interpreting data loggers