S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

K24 into S2000 Race car SCCA build

Old 05-01-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Manifold and intercoolers showed up today.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Your stoptech trophy brakes still look pretty good ian.

How many track days do you have on em?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Manifold and intercoolers showed up today.
No IWG with the little turbo?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint

I've known him like 4 years, I've seen his car on track maybe 3 times since then.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint

They have been on car since 2010. Has probably 7 race weekend with scca and 5 or 6 track days and probably similar autoxes on em. 2nd set of rotor rings and like 4th set of pads.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
They have been on car since 2010. Has probably 7 race weekend with scca and 5 or 6 track days and probably similar autoxes on em. 2nd set of rotor rings and like 4th set of pads.
Wow, that's a lot of consumable costs for what amounts to ~20 days.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Wow, that's a lot of consumable costs for what amounts to ~20 days.
Dude, and SCCA majors weekend is like $2500 on the cheap side. Set of pads and rotor rings every few events is least of the expenses.
The following users liked this post:
DavidNJ (05-02-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 AM

Wastegate was a wee bit to close to the compressor housing. Mailed it back to have it moved. Debated Cutting it and welding it myself but figured I wanted them to have the template for where it should sit so the manifold could be accurately reproduced.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Isn't that turbo available with an IWG? Wouldn't that solve the problem, plus free up space in a very tight area?

I favor adding the bungs for at individual O2 sensors. Virtually all aftermarket ECUs can use those for individual cylinder trims. There are big discussions on drag racing and ECU tuning forums about the value of wideband O2 sensors vs EGT sensors. It seems to favor O2 sensors. They weren't available at reasonable prices until recently and are still 2x the cost of EGT sensors. Coming soon, reasonably priced cylinder pressure sensors. They are done in conjunction with the spark plug.

The bungs cost relatively little, and can always be plugged until you are ready to use them.

If used for track use, bungs for secondary air injection (the same as with the air pump on AP1 cars) for use with anti-lag might be nice to add. It is very similar to the emissions secondary air injection, except the combustion in the exhaust manifold is used to maintain spool in the turbo vs. warm up the catalytic converter. The other big difference is the air is taken from the compressor outlet instead of using an air pump. Not sure if adding EGT is useful in managing the anti-lag. Not sure if it works, I saw at least on setup that used a wastegate to feed air into the header for anti-lag. In this article, the fuel is injected into the device, leaving the engine out of creating the pressure for anti-lag. https://hellafunctional.com/?p=297

Note that rally style anti-lag is virtually unavailable off the shelf. Drag racers seem happy with massive retard and lots of fuel in the manifold. Subaru had a system that did the combustion outside of the exhaust manifold that allowed introducing the air near the turbo. The combustion chamber is apparently similar in design to that used on a jet engine. An unavailable part. Others did the secondary air injection at the expense of higher EGTs. They had to be further back to so combustion happened in the manifold. I'm not sure which ECTs have the support for using compressor speed and EGTs to control the secondary air and ignition retard. Obviously, none of this works if a cat is in place.

The advantage is coming off every turn will full boost. The G25-660's spool is probably fast enough that difference will be smaller. After all, isn't this first and foremost a fun project? This would make it pretty unique.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Isn't that turbo available with an IWG? Wouldn't that solve the problem, plus free up space in a very tight area?

I favor adding the bungs for at individual O2 sensors. Virtually all aftermarket ECUs can use those for individual cylinder trims. There are big discussions on drag racing and ECU tuning forums about the value of wideband O2 sensors vs EGT sensors. It seems to favor O2 sensors. They weren't available at reasonable prices until recently and are still 2x the cost of EGT sensors. Coming soon, reasonably priced cylinder pressure sensors. They are done in conjunction with the spark plug.

If used for track use, bungs for secondary air injection (the same as with the air pump on AP1 cars) for use with anti-lag might be nice to add. It is very similar to the emissions secondary air injection, except the combustion in the exhaust manifold is used to maintain spool in the turbo vs. warm up the catalytic converter. The other big difference is the air is taken from the compressor outlet instead of using an air pump. Not sure if adding EGT is useful in managing the anti-lag. Not sure if it works, I saw at least on setup that used a wastegate to feed air into the header for anti-lag. In this article, the fuel is injected into the device, leaving the engine out of creating the pressure for anti-lag. https://hellafunctional.com/?p=297

The bugs cost relatively little, and can always be plugged until you are ready to use them. After all, isn't this first and foremost a fun project? This would make it pretty unique.
The price for the IWG one was $9,999 . AKA likely not available yet. Math says this guy will hit 15psi at 2200 rpm. I have my doubts lag will be much of a concern with 7500rpm to play with that's a nice fat 5000 rpm powerband. I'm trying to feel my way into the turbo stuff as I've never + turbo any car I've owned. So starting slowly.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but having a large wastegate should help to negate some of the restriction caused by the somewhat small choke this turbo has at the inlet. Right?

Last edited by Mrsideways; 05-04-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: K24 into S2000 Race car SCCA build