S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Lap Timer

Old 08-16-2001, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lap Timer

Can anyone recommend a good lap timer? I am looking for something that is easy to use while driving (i.e., big buttons), provides best/worst/average lap times and is reasonably priced.

Thanks!
Tanq
Old 08-16-2001, 08:00 PM

I use a Robic stop watch. I just tied it up on the ac vent with cable ties.

Check it out at:
https://www.s2ki.com/library/movies/SilverA...0e0ddc40670446b
Old 08-18-2001, 07:03 AM

Hi Tanqueray-

What will you be using it for and what are your requirements?

ffdrift and I both use a Intercomp in car system. It's "the smallest" on the market according to the literature. You mount the iR trigger box on a tripod trackside. The nice thing about it is it has a communication jack, and we've made cords to download and thus save laptimes to our respective PDAs. The Intercomp timer is available directly from www.intercomp-racing.com (tel. 800-328-3336), or even from www.NorthstarMotorsports.com as an in-stock special order item if you want to support a smaller business.

FYI- Specs- accuracy- 1/100 second, dimensions- 4" x 2 1/2" x 15/16", 200 lap memory, 4 AA batteries in the transmitter, 1 9V battery in the receiver/display. It comes with a nice plastic foam padded carrying "briefcase" that protects the kit very well.

Good stuff...
Old 08-18-2001, 12:09 PM

I'd check out the Longacre hotlap timing products. They're generally cheaper than Intercomp and you should only have to buy 1/2 the gear. When I go to the track there's almost always someone with a Longacre sending unit already set up at the start/finish line. All you need in the in-car portion.

See http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/catl...st.asp?catid=10

You can find good discounts on Longacre gear at a number of vendors including http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/
Old 08-18-2001, 12:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey
[B]I'd check out the Longacre hotlap timing products.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:58 AM

the Intercomp timer system is the way to go.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by GTRPower
Hi Tanqueray-

What will you be using it for and what are your requirements?
I intend to keep doing track days and would like accurate lap times to track progress and skill development. I was thinking of a handheld or something that could be temporarily mounted in the car.

The Intercomp sounds interesting, but I don't know that anyone out here uses the system.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:09 AM

Hey Tanqueray-

Here's a quick link- http://intercomp-racing.com/detail.cfm?ItemID=53

Here's a quick link to the Longacre kit- http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item...id=274&catid=10

Those are the two comparable systems. I think the price difference is negligible considering the features.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:21 AM

Quite frankly I see a lot more Longacre gear out there than Intercomp. And Longacre does make a Hotlap timer with data out for laptops and PDA's.

An aside, I was recently talking with a guy that runs a race shop. He told me that Intercomp enforces strict distribution and pricing control. Because of this there are very few discounts to be had on their gear.

He also said that Longacre is sold everywhere and they have no price controls. So while the suggested retail price of equivalent Longacre and Intercomp products may be the same, the street price of Longacre gear is typically much lower. He also felt the quality levels of the two manufacturers to be very similar.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey
[B]Quite frankly I see a lot more Longacre gear out there than Intercomp.

Quick Reply: Lap Timer