S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Master your home track or try different tracks

Old 11-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think 1 full track day is enough to get a decent handle on a track. You will learn something from each one. As you become a better driver, I would think you would learn more from a variety of situations and that adaptation. As was said earlier, eventually you are just running laps. Sure your lap times may be better over time, but most people I talk to who have raced for 20+ years at the same track believe they have only done a couple "perfect" laps. Consistency in driving is more important than perfect in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneSp
Road Atlanta in Dec with NASA?
yup. Going to be the 15th different track off my list. You going?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I like to try different tracks. Each one gives new opportunities and different challenges. Mastering 1 track starts to feel like autopilot after a while. I have the privilege of living somewhere with 5 different tracks within a short drive (30-50 minutes) and 2 others around 3 hours. So this variety helps with trying different tracks. If I had to travel 5-6 hours (or more), I wouldn't be as enthusiastic about only trying to run a specific track once or twice a year at most.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:57 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by usafstud
yup. Going to be the 15th different track off my list. You going?
I'll be there.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I use one track that I’ve got down to work on the car, implement changes and see were I can change driving style, brakes etc. if I’m going to a new track I try and leave the car as I know it so there aren’t too many variables. I don’t want to show up at a new track on new tire compounds and have to re learn what the car is going to do. It takes a mix to get the most out of yourself.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

I live in SoCal and have 5 local tracks that run different configs within a 170 mile radius. I count the more commonly run variations at around 9-10 track layout possibilities. I've tried them all and have settled on 5-6 layouts/tracks that I like running.

Given significantly more money and time, I'd run at different tracks further away.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Adaptability is what good driving is all about. Different tracks and different cars stimulate the learning experience. However, you should have a solid baseline at one track before moving on IMO. You should be a competent and comfortable novice or intermediate before moving around.

Also it's not a bad thing to have your one home track you are constantly sharpening your lap times. Its a good reference that will alert you when something is wrong with you, the car or both.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Signed up for Road Atlanta instead of CMP. Adding another track to the list of driven (car/motorcycle) on.

willow springs
streets of willow
buttonwillow
laguna seca
nurburgring
some track in thailand
some track in italy
mid ohio
eagles canyon
cresson motorsport ranch
carolina Motorsport park
virginia international raceway
charlotte motor speedway
roebling road raceway
**road atlanta**
Old 12-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

In my experience I've found the best bang for the buck is dependent on the driver's on-track skill level. Having a good understanding and execution of basic car control skills (car rotation, threshold braking, consistent turn-in, apexing and track-out) combined with good situational awareness allows the driver to understand and analyze track lines more quickly and make the most of what a new track has to offer. With the basics more or less second nature the driver can spend more time in track analysis, comparisons to known tracks (turn three at Summit Point Main reminds me of Mid-Ohio turn one, etc.) and then concentrate on the thrill of the new challenges a new track provides. Then go to as many different tracks you can. You may be apprehensive at first, after all it's a brand new environment, but that feeling will disappear quickly. Bottom line get the basics ingrained and then look for new challenges a different track provides and have fun out there!. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I live in SoCal and have 5 local tracks that run different configs within a 170 mile radius. I count the more commonly run variations at around 9-10 track layout possibilities. I've tried them all and have settled on 5-6 layouts/tracks that I like running.

Given significantly more money and time, I'd run at different tracks further away.
Exactly my opinion as well.