S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

My new roll bar....

Old 05-22-2002, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For any number of reasons I had Mitch Piper, who fabricates cages for most of the local MD/VA/DC/WV SCCA racers, make a bar up for my car. First and foremost was safety, not looks, though Mitch knew that this was a daily driver. Having shown some other designs tossed about here on the forum, Mitch thought most would be unsafe in a rollover. Given his years of experience he felt confident he could construct a design that met most of the requirements.

Like Aaron Bitterman's solution, one of major design requirements was that the bar had to fit under a raised top. This is not a bolt-in solution but is welded to the car at four points--two in the trunk, two behind the seats.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me while the interior was out of the car so it's a little difficult to show some of the mounting points. In the trunk, the mount points are very similar to Aaron's setup but a large pad is welded to the floor and then the bar is in turn welded to it. Those are the stock roll hoops bolted in on the left.

I hear that Aaron is a rather tall man and I'm sure that influenced his decision to tilt the bar at that extreme angle and not vertically. Being only 5'8" and planning to install a shell it was decided to mount the hoop inside the passenger compartment in line with the highest point in the raised roof. It should be possible for a a 5'10-11" person to fit w/ no problem.

The hoops are secured to a large box which in turn is welded to the frame at the back corner of the interior. Again, it's really hard to show with the interior and carpet in place...

Adding strength to the design are both diagonal and horizontal bars. Although they greatly contribute to the integrity of the bar they do remove most of what little utility the interior has.

As you can see, the horizontal member bisects the front storage compartment, occupying approximately 50% of the volume. As may also be visible from this above pic, access to the "secret compartment" is now impossible as the diagonal member goes right across the lid.

It should be said that most of the time spent was removing and then re-assembling the interior and convertible top. Given everything involved I'm amazed Mitch didn't take longer (as he was charging by the hour). The one thing you will notice is that the stock roll hoops are still in place. This was mainly a cost consideration as it would have taken quite a bit to fabricate new top pieces. I will be working on removing them in the near future, though I do like having them around in case the bar does fail.

As a side note, Mitch also modified Sparco's rails in order to mount my Evo seat....a seat that supposedly does not fit in the car. Granted it is too wide to allow mounting of the seatbelt catch but it was known from the first that the seat was only going in for track days. I sooo love the lower seating position (about 2" lower than stock) and increased support. It finally feels like I'm sitting in rather than on the car and I no longer have the speaker grill patter branded on my left knee at the end of a day. The lap and sub belts from the harness clip in and the shoulder harnesses wrap around the bar.

As I said earlier, the bar is not a bolt in, but Mitch is willing to work on more S2000's. He's reluctant because of all the work necessary to remove the top and interior but thinks there's a fertile market at least here in the mid-Atlantic since VIR won't let us on course w/ the stock hoops.

If you want more information, including Mitch Piper's contact info, email me at gregg@ginsberg.org.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:37 PM

Me likes! Brings back memories of when I had bars in my Civic.
Old 05-23-2002, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can the driver's seat go all the way back, both in seat travel as well as seatback rake?
Old 05-23-2002, 04:21 AM

Nice setup Gregg! I like the bar, it looks safe and professionally built. I'm sure you're glad it's there but hope you don't have to use it !
Old 05-23-2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by jguerdat
Can the driver's seat go all the way back, both in seat travel as well as seatback rake?
No, for a couple of reasons. First, you will probably notice that nice horizontal member (the one that goes thru the storage compartment).

http://www.ginsberg.org/Images/S2000Rollba...ar/RollBar5.jpg

I think you can see how much you lose there. Also, it was necessary to remove the seatblelt guides in order to gain a little more movement. The shoulder wing does but up agains the hoop.

http://www.ginsberg.org/Images/S2000Rollba...ar/RollBar3.jpg

If you're shorter than 5' 10" I think you'll be fine w/ the stock seat. I found that dropping in the Sparco seat created a lot travel owing to the thinness of the shell vs. a fully padded stock seat.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:18 AM

Well that leaves me out 6'-1" of this roll bar group buy

What's the lapxxx thingy clamped to the passenger bar?
Old 05-23-2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by 'smyroad
What's the lapxxx thingy clamped to the passenger bar?
HotLap timer so I can see how slow I really am.

http://www.ioportracing.com/hotlap%20instructions.htm
Old 05-23-2002, 08:52 AM

Hey man - congratulations. It looks really great, I hope you are happy with it and that it meets your expectations. I know you've waited a whole to get it done. Iwonder how loud the buffeting is at speed with the top down. Can't wait to see it!
Old 05-23-2002, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW.
I'm rushed to finish work so I can pack and fly out to Tucson.
I will be PM'ing you Gregg.
Great job!
This is what I'm about ready to have custom made, or maybe not...

QUICK QUESTION:
You have a 2000 or a 2001 with the plastic rear window???
Old 05-23-2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Triple-H
WOW.

QUICK QUESTION:
You have a 2000 or a 2001 with the plastic rear window???
I have a '00 and I have a sneaking suspicion that the current design wouldn't work w/ an '02.

Both verticals go thru the front of the top's well, not thru where the roll hoops are/were like Aaron's. I know that the glass window already sits in there at an angle, front higher than rear, but I have serious doubts as to whether you've be able to get the top fully retracted.

Quick Reply: My new roll bar....