S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Performance for the track

Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance for the track

Hi all,

Trying to work out what modifications to do to maximize performance of the car. I have had a look and I think a good solution for na power that can still be a daily driver would be

Pwd.jdm intake
science of speed throttle body
j's racing manifold
Berk hi flow cat
..... exhaust - dual exit preffered
4.77 final drive
Aem ems ecu suitably mapped with lower vtec engagement point.

Now, my issue with the exhaust is uk tracks are very strict on noise. what dual exit exhausts are there with decent gains that would compliment the above setup ?

Open to all and any comments on the above, please recommend better parts either in price to performance or just because I have made a bad choice.

Looking for decent midrange gains with hopefully 260 ish at the fly final figure bhp.

Appreciate assistance in advance !
Old 01-19-2009, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything without a cat maybe too loud at some places. I had the berk decat on my uk car with stock exhaust it was just over the noise level for sneterton. They still let me on track though. Never had a problem at brands hatch.

I'd spend the money on tires and some brake pads though.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 AM

It might bear mentioning that, unless you're racing, spending a whole bunch of money making your car just a little bit faster for track days is not necessarily the best way to make you a better driver.

If you're working with a limited budget, for pure track driving, you can't do better than hiring a good coach, and doing a lot of reading.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the guidance and advice guys.

I'm using bridgestone re050az tyres, and updated brakes are my next modification - looking at wilwood 4pots -

Reference driver training i'm going to be doing my race license this year, so will be doing a lot of training for that already, so thanks for the advice there also. Ref the Reading do you have any suggestions ?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by conanius' date='Jan 19 2009, 09:05 AM
Ref the Reading do you have any suggestions ?
Once you've had enough experience on the track (I have no idea what level you're driving at), you might find Speed Secrets to be helpful, all three volumes. I'm sure there are lots of other good ones out there.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand. You are going for a racing license? You must not be intending to race this car, though, or else I'm sure your questions would have been very different.

I rarely see race drivers taking their personal daily drivers out for track days. I'm sure a few do, but mainly they either don't bother with track days or they take their race cars.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by conanius' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:08 AM
Trying to work out what modifications to do to maximize performance of the car.
use the money on mods for driving/racing school and track time. that will be better in the long run and maintenance adds up after a while.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM

I would and have take the dd s2k for track day, but just to assess the handling at the limits. Miatae for real workouts.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with tires/brake pads first, then engine last, way cheaper and faster.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM

asura dual exhaust FTW... not to loud with those mods..

Quick Reply: Performance for the track