S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

R-Comps on stock suspension

Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R-Comps on stock suspension

I guess this sort of follows the thread on track day brakes. I spent last season running my stock AP2 at track days and full-track timed events, with stock rotors/Carbotechs, then Hawk blue pads. I ran Star Specs on stock rims.

Now I'm considering moving to an R-comp for a bit more grip, but (for now) keeping the brakes as they are, and the stock suspension. Would I be "wasting" the R-comps with the stock suspension?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Many will say yes, or get more seat time, but it's probably fine. You'll just have to be smooth with your steering inputs so to not upset the car from the added grip. And you'll obviously have more roll than with coilovers.

Billy
Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

The car does move around a lot more on R-comps and stock suspension. If i weren't competing for showroom stock class points, I'd probably just run the StarSpecs at the track. Cheaper, still fun, less hassle, and less of the car moving around on its suspension. Slower, though, of course...
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I track with R-Compound on stock suspension. It's more fun. You can carry more, lot more speed in the turns. I also run stock rotor with Cobalt pads which allow you to brake a lot later than stock pads. And the R-Compound will also help.

I switch to Toyo R888 when replace my stock tire that use for DD and track day. Now I do have another set of stock for all season that I ride everyday.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also depends on what you mean by "R-compound."

A streetable R-comp (Michelin Pilot Sport Cup or similar) would be more expensive and wear faster than a Star Spec, but wear much slower than something like an R6.

A milder R-comp also probably wouldn't upset your car much.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering the price v. wear v. performance factor, I've been leaning toward the BFG g-force R1. According to the reviews, they last a lot longer than the R6 and other "true" r-comps, yet still give good grip and are somewhat reasonably priced.

At local TT events S2ks are generally lumped in will all other RWDs, so my goal (in addition to lowering lap times at HPDEs) is to get closer to the Corvettes and GT3s in my class.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Well, if you're competing in time trials, of course go with R-comps. I've done R-comps with stock suspension for a few years now. Not ideal, but you'll definitely go faster.

If you're not boosted, I think you shouldn't worry yourself too much about keeping up with Corvettes and GT3's at the track!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If money is not an object, go with R6. I use Toyo R888 and I like it. Of course R888 is way better than stock. But I'm no where near fast. I just have fun with DOT R-Compound. I drive to and from the track.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I track the car on stock suspension and R-Comps (Nittos), it can be done with some improvement over street tires, not really faster, but can last all the way towards the end of session without overheating/loss of grip issues, but I think coilover/star spec combo is more effective than stock suspension/r-comps combo. star specs are great tires and can be compared to DOT approved r-comps, for next season I'm going back to star spec with coilover setup, plus easier to leave those tires on the car to drive around and not worry about heat cycles.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 AM

I'm on stock suspension, and I'm faster on even 2nd-tier (Kumho VictoRacer and Ecsta) R-comps vs. StarSpecs. Hoosiers or V710s or R1s should be faster still.

StarSpecs are fantastic, phenomenally-gripping street tires, but they won't hang with R-comps I've run. At least not in the dry!

In the rain, on StarSpecs, I've passed faster cars on Hoosier wets, though!

Quick Reply: R-Comps on stock suspension