S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing Advice

Old 12-12-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Advice

I'm thinking of getting involved in some sort of amateur racing. At this point I've only done a couple track days. I would like to be able too compete, at least be mid-pack, in some form of w2w racing. I don't want to do karts and I want to stay with rwd. I'm not rich, but am willing to spend any extra cash on pursuing my dream. I'm not under any false hopes that I'm the next Schumacher either, but I'd like to be competitive and have fun. I'm looking for some advice from people that actually race competitively.

1. Is a racing school, such as Skip Barber, worth the money? Or would I be better of just going through the steps with an association, such as SCCA?

2. At the entry level of direct competition, w2w racing, can it be done at reasonable cost, while being mid-pack at least? Reasonable being several thousand dollars, after car prep.

3. If you built your race car from something you owned, such as my street-legal S2000. Would you recommend buying a "built" racecar (is it that much less money)?

4. Any advice on classing or organizations that I might want to get involved with? Or not get involved with?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's almost always less money to buy a used race car than to build your own. As for what car, figure out who you would be racing with. Then figure out what classes you want to race in. Then find a car.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree w mike. what kind of racing is in your area? there is no reason to build/buy a car that you have to travel far just to practice and race. you can pick up Porsche race cars 944s and 944 turbos real cheap <10k. but is there a Pclub in your area. how bout race tracks any close by? I would think in Raleigh there would be. Check out the racing scene (other than Nascar) and go from there. you cant go wrong taking a good racing class as a start. I would consider spec Miata. Good luck. If you decide to race/build your S let me know thats what I did--I would be glad to give you my experience w the process. Gerry
Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 AM

What they said. Racing is most fun when you have someone right in front of you and someone right behind you, regardlesss of the speed of the cars.When asked what the perfect numbers of cars on a track is, I always answer three.

Spec Miata's can be fun, but body damage can suck. I would look for a group running no touching rules (AKA Vintage rules), to start out with and then go from there. That way your budget will be spent driving and not fixing. Biggest rule of thumb is make sure what ever you get you can afford to drive.

Bill

Old 12-13-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Bill. Start with a class that runs vintage rules. Just remember not to hit anyone.

Also, consider your car very carefully. As brilliant as the S2000 is, there aren't many series out there in which it can run in competitively. After seeing how blazingly fast early model 911s are/can be (hey Jack!), and considering the insane amount of parts/mods available AND the sheer number of racing classes, that would be my choice if I had to do it all over again. Plus there's not many Porsche guys who want to rub paint.

If a 911 is out of your budget, consider a race prepped 914.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking about skip barber too but somebody said it's worthless in a slow race car that they provide. So I take my S to the local driving school. I got to use my car on the track with the instructor sit next to me that give me advice and steering input (he actually grap the wheel and help me turn). I went out 4 times with instructors. 2 of them are good, 1 is ok and last one does not know shit. I miss the apex by 3 ft and he said good line WTF.

Find local or close driving school with a good instructor. You can use your own car too.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:21 PM

You should also consider the "extras" that go along with it. Are you going to drive the car to the track, or trailer it? Got a truck? Got a trailer? Got storage for the trailer? Got rain tires? Toolz? I'm sure you've already thought about this, but it adds up pretty quick.

If you're on a limited budget and just want to get out there, find a older RX7 or BMW that's already built and go IT racing.

$.02
Old 12-13-2006, 04:14 PM

There are a few tracks in the surrounding states, and a couple in NC. The problem I have at this point is that without a rollbar, from what I've seen, they wont let the S2000 run. The only track that will, is Carolina Motorsports Park. I've done 3 track days there, with Turn One. I went the first time with an instructor who said I was doing good. The second time a different instructor gave me all 10's (perfect) on his scorecard. The 3rd time, yet another instructor told me that he didn't want to race against me. All of this just seems like BS to me. I learned a lot and loved getting on the track, but I'm already wanting more. I'm not someone who can consider themselves good based on opinions, I need to test myself against others. I'm thinking that I should just get the GFL rollbar so that I can get more experience this coming year, at more tracks. I want to compete but I also don't want to get in over my head.

I've been thinking about an older M3 or RX7. Those that said to pick a class first, how would I do that? What would make one class any better or worse than another? I have thought about the extras. I have the tow vehicle but no trailer, yet. I think I'd want to start out as cheap as possible so that I have the reserves later on, when I'm more experienced.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9kI4,Dec 13 2006, 05:14 PM
What would make one class any better or worse than another?
How many other people are running in it, how expensive it is to run a competitive car, and whether it matches your interests (some classes are more about driving skills and others are more about who can build up the fastest car).
Old 12-13-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have any friends who race? Sounds as if you are pretty early on in the process. Get the bar if you need it and continue to learn to drive. start looking around at race cars to get an idea of what they cost just to get a feel for things. dont be in a big hurry--thats for sure--or you will certainly spend too much.

Quick Reply: Racing Advice