S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Recommendations on steering wheels

Old 05-27-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Recommendations on steering wheels

I’ve been looking to upgrade to a suede steering wheel that’s removable. I know nrg makes some reasonably priced setups. Has any one used them for track use or any recommendations? Looking for stock position or slightly closer to the dashboard for the steering wheel position.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:49 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

If you're doing a quick release make sure to get a short hub to pair with it, otherwise the wheel may be too close to you.

I run a 330 and recommend others the same, but I know a lot of people prefer 350mm.

The NRG have worked fine for me, but their quick releases do have a fair bit of play in them. As for a wheel, I have a Personal suede.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by roel03
If you're doing a quick release make sure to get a short hub to pair with it, otherwise the wheel may be too close to you.

I run a 330 and recommend others the same, but I know a lot of people prefer 350mm.

The NRG have worked fine for me, but their quick releases do have a fair bit of play in them. As for a wheel, I have a Personal suede.
it looks like with a nrg short hub and a nrg quick release and an omp wheel will be slightly closer to me than stock and I was hoping for it to be slightly further from me. Will a 330 give me the same effect?
Old 05-28-2019, 07:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

https://www.sparcousa.com/r-353#readmore

Old 05-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

I went with the same exact wheel in leather.

I wanted leather and 330mm - that significantly limited my options for wheels. From what i've read, suede gets dirty pretty fast if you're not wearing gloves all the time - I drive my car to and from events, and it usually involves hot cheetos or chester fries to keep me awake on the drive home...

(maybe not the exact same - mine had the center cut-out for the horn).

Originally Posted by freq
Old 05-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with NRG's newer SFI quick release and hub - happy so far and no slop. Only problem is you will have to use a horn bracket bucket as SFI standards don't allow plastic components which was how they kept the horn working. It wasn't a big deal to me as I know the release is certified, safer, and I can take it off with one hand (no safety button).

I use an OMP Superquadro 330 D shaped wheel - I love it but wheels are personal preference.

I don't think there's any wheel/QR setup off the shelf that will make it further away from the driver.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Max Papsi Innovations, founded by the former Indycar and endurance racer, have a bit of a following. Their site describes what they consider their advantages in construction. This is the page to their track day wheels: https://www.maxpapisinc.com/product-...se-track-days/
Old 05-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I use a NRG short hub + Spacer+ 350mm Mugen wheel. I was never trusting in their quick release. Maybe their newer models are better so i am not going to sit here bashing them.
I did hear Sparco makes some legit quick release hubs, so i would take a look into that.

I have used a Personal Grinta 330 Wheel which is prob the best bang for the buck. However their Suede does wear out pretty quickly if you do not wear gloves.
I can also recommend a Momo Monte Carlo which only comes in 350mm, however it does feel solid and i even think its cheaper than the personal Grinta .

But if you dont mind spending more, then a Mugen Racing 3 is great.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Barnburner3
I went with NRG's newer SFI quick release and hub - happy so far and no slop. Only problem is you will have to use a horn bracket bucket as SFI standards don't allow plastic components which was how they kept the horn working. It wasn't a big deal to me as I know the release is certified, safer, and I can take it off with one hand (no safety button).

I use an OMP Superquadro 330 D shaped wheel - I love it but wheels are personal preference.

I don't think there's any wheel/QR setup off the shelf that will make it further away from the driver.

The picture I found it looks like the 2.0 is sfi rated and has the internals for a horn
Old 05-28-2019, 05:28 PM

It does also look like nrg makes a thin quick release that seems secure

Quick Reply: Recommendations on steering wheels