S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ride Height suggestions?

Old 03-01-2003, 09:31 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Ride Height suggestions?

I have searched all over and am having trouble getting a definitive answer.

I will be installing some JIC adjustable shocks next week or so. And would like some recommendations for initial ride height settings.

I am looking for optimal handling, not looks!!!

This is for track day use and sprinted drives in the mountains.

Stock 2002, stock wheels and tires, I am going to set the car to the UK alignment settings initially.

I plan on using the Honda height (shop manual) settings as my base line

They are 192-202mm front and 220-230 mm rear

I guess I will start from the lower end of the scale

What if any is a good place to start? 10mm 20mm more?

Ideally I want to be able to balance the car with some damper adjustments and ride height, before I change things like sway bars. I want to get this pretty close at the start, I am hoping one of you has tried a few settings. (ie done all the work)

I am aware of driving style differences etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George
Old 03-02-2003, 07:11 AM

Come on now, can anyone give me a good baseline?

Am I in the wrong forum???

George
Old 03-02-2003, 07:29 AM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right forum, just no definitive answers.

Lowering the car below stock ride height has the advantage of lowering the center of mass, theoretically improving handling.

Offsetting that are some real-world issues.

-> Our cars are noted for having some bump-steer affect, which reportedly worsens as you go lower. King motorsports makes a kit that addresses this, but I don't know of many cars that have it installed.

-> Even with shortened bump-stops, the chance of running out of suspension travel is increased with a lowered suspension. If you hit the bump stops on a corner, expect unpleasant handling. Stiffer springs can reduce the chance of that happening, but then place more demand on the shocks.

-> On my car, at my track (which is far from glass smooth), with 340/380 eibach springs on adjustable perches and stock shocks, R-compounds on stock rims, aggressive alignment, I found that dropping the car more than an inch or so below stock ride height started to have negative effects, namely less predictable oversteer. Whether this was due to bump-steer, hitting bump-stops, overworked shocks or some other cause I don't know. But as it clearly didn't work, I raised up a little.

What are the spring rates with the JIC kit? How do the shocks compare with a premium racing shock like Moton, JRZ, Penske, etc.?
Old 03-02-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the JIC units and have mine about and inch lower than stock front, and a bit more rear. I find anything lower than that creates clearance problems. An alignment is a must and bump steer is worse with the lower stance. IMO the lower COG helps but a big downside is the transition from neutral to oversteer and loss of rear traction is even more sudden.

The standard JIC setup is 7k/8k (392/448) and are nice units but IMO they do not have as damping curves or the consistency of the premium racing shocks.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the input.

I think I will just drop the car 10 to 15mm from stock, that will allow some adjustment both up and down with out getting too far out.

Since I will just be doing track days for fun, I think the JIC's will be ok. I just wanted some adjustability over stock, and a bit less body roll.

George
Old 03-02-2003, 05:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the TEIN RA coilovers and have the fronts set at .9 inches lower in front and 1 inch rear. These are the lowest settings that still allow an acceptable alignment. Also, I will echo what cdelena said. Lowering the car with stiffer springs will shorten the transition between neutral to oversteer. As a result, lift throttle oversteer is more pronounced. I'm not sure how much of a downside this is as I feel my car oversteers in a very controlable manner.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]I have the JIC units and have
Old 03-03-2003, 09:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gfacter
[B]Any special steps necessary for installing?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:10 AM

Thanks Cdelena, PM sent

George
Old 03-03-2003, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand, you want to go as low as possible without encountering the bump stops.

In order to do this you need higher spring rates. However, higher spring rates cause tires to lose grip on bumpy surfaces. This is why you would use much higher spring rates and lower ride height on the circuit vs. the street.

Given you've already ordered the 7/8 kg/mm JIC springs, the best thing to do is to drive around in them at different ride heights to see if you are bottoming out on the bump stops. You should be able to notice bottoming out most easily by snap oversteer.

Note: this is mostly from what I read, however extensively, about suspension tuning. While it all makes sense to be and I believe it to be right, others with firsthand experience my have better answers.

Quick Reply: Ride Height suggestions?