S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Road Racing Diet

Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Racing Diet

I have been thinking of road racing the S for a while now and am looking to lose a few hundred pounds haha but wanna keep the car streetable. What are some essentials to do this? I would definately like to go with a hardtop and remove all the panels behind the seats along with the convertible top and motors. I wanna leave everything like the door panels, carpet etc...cuz I do drive my car on the street. One questionable thing for me is the a/c, I am thinking of removing it with all its components.

So far all I have is:
1) CF Hardtop
2) Remove retractable top and motors
3) Remove all interior panels behind the seats(rollbar covers, trim& trunk trim)
4) Possibly remove a/c (condensor, dryer, compressor)
5) Ligh weight Intake (CF)
6) Header
7) Single exit exhaust
8) Wheels
9) Battery and Tie down
10) Aluminum bodied coilovers
11) Willwood dynalite brakes
12) Cruise Control
13) Flywheel
14) Clutch

I'll add the ones that sound good to me from your posts.

PS: Anyone who regularly attends mid ohio hit me up with a pm if you dont mind. I might have some questions tx.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

aftermarket intake, header and exhaust will drop around 100lbs.
aftermarket seats will drop some good weight also. or maybe just one seat and no pass seat.
barke upgrade.
wheels.
carpeting and tar.
carbon body parts
Old 08-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the TAR removal on another car. Not only did it suck but, the weight loss was negligable.

I've tried DDing my track car with no ac and stripped interior. It pretty much sucks. Include the cage and harness and it sucks a bit more. That's completely ignoring my head splashing on the roll cage in a major wreck thing.

I'd think the top and switching to a titanium exhaust would make a big difference. Seats.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cruise control
Spare tire + tools
Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Aug 25 2006, 04:18 PM
aftermarket intake, header and exhaust will drop around 100lbs.
aftermarket seats will drop some good weight also. or maybe just one seat and no pass seat.
barke upgrade.
wheels.
carpeting and tar.
carbon body parts
I never thought about the intake lol. I realized that most dont make any hp gain but never gave it a thought I could save some weight by it. Good thinking As for exhuast I am using a universal tip and making my car a single exit. I'll try to post up how much weight that lost. Who makes a nice DD-able seat?? My buddies Bride weighs more than his stock ones did. I need 2 seats tho, one for the ladies.
Keeping carpet as well. How much less do the CF fenders weigh?? are the stock fenders aluminum or is that just a rumor i heard? Wheels are the last on my list, gotta save up for the hard top. Are there 17'' rims that weigh less than our stock AP1 16's??
Old 08-25-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intake isn't going to save but maybe 4lbs. There's basically no way to drop a few hundred pounds and keep it streetable unless you want to spend A LOT of money.

Stay away from stripping anthing from the interior, for one. You'll shed very few pounds. For instance, a CF HT will run you 3K and you'll be lucky if you shave 20 lbs. AL bodied coilovers and some Volks are a much better option and will improve the performance and handling of the car dramatically. Cruise control is easy to remove and is actually not that light. Removal of AC is something I did, but only after I dropped about everything else. There's a ton of posts on weight removal....do some research. Unless you're racing the benefits of even 300 lbs really aren't worth the sacrifice/cash.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:35 PM

i dont have much to add about weight reduction but i have done many laps at mid-ohio (before the repaving) and will be racing in a Skip Barber race in september.

shoot me a PM if you have an Q's about the track or what-not. ill be able to give a better idea of what the track is like after the races.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by S|2ocK,Aug 25 2006, 11:19 AM
I have been thinking of road racing the S for a while now.
Why don't you go out and have fun first before you go and stripping your car apart. Shaving off 200lbs will not even net you 10%. As someone pointed out above there are far more effective mods at this point with less sacrifice on comfort and driveability. There isn't much crap to remove unlike sedans and econoboxes, and when you start nitpicking what you are willing to do without then it becomes even more pointless. Either gut everything or why even bother, IMO.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S|2ocK,Aug 25 2006, 08:08 PM
I never thought about the intake lol. I realized that most dont make any hp gain but never gave it a thought I could save some weight by it. Good thinking As for exhuast I am using a universal tip and making my car a single exit. I'll try to post up how much weight that lost. Who makes a nice DD-able seat?? My buddies Bride weighs more than his stock ones did. I need 2 seats tho, one for the ladies.
Keeping carpet as well. How much less do the CF fenders weigh?? are the stock fenders aluminum or is that just a rumor i heard? Wheels are the last on my list, gotta save up for the hard top. Are there 17'' rims that weigh less than our stock AP1 16's??
lol ya intake will shed some weight but not to much. atleast you will get some gain out of it though minus some weight too. There are a lot of seats lighter then stock. I believe the lightest seat for the S is the spoon racing seat, which weighs something like 8 lbs!!!!! Pricey though.

I wouldn't remove the ac though. Not enough weight lost to sacrifice the use on hot days. Atleast here in socal anyway lol. Another option could be the removal of the airbag and steering wheel with an after market one.
Most carbon body peices will weigh less then stock, but those would be the pricey pieces(JDM).
Old 08-28-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

feel free to drop me an email concerning Mid Ohio, I'll be running NASA nationals there next month, and have spent some time there this year.

loudes AT yahoo DOT com

Quick Reply: Road Racing Diet