S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000's and the One Lap of America

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default S2000's and the One Lap of America

There was some talk of doing the one lap in an S2000 off an on the board. I think I'm going to attempt it in mine next year 2013. So I've been brainstorming a bit. Mine is a race car but we can take it back to a street car. I have some ideas on comfort issues but for the most part it's gonna be just suck it up and deal with rain in your face and no a/c or heat. Making it liveable on the street is one thing. But making it fast enough to win..... that's another. Here's the thing. Class Trophies are about 6 inches tall. The overall Trophy won't fit in the S2000.... or my truck. After finishing 2nd in 2009 (465whp 911 GT2) I want to go back for a win. So provided my car makes it to the runoffs this year I'm going to start a one lap conversion the next day.
So here is the target.... How do we make an S2000 last 5000-7000 miles and beat this on street tires.... (BTW you can't use really good street tires because you need to factor in the rain and a wet skid pad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVUwSkyj_0

That 1:13.4 is FAST on street tires. DanUK... You've got Data on your car at Roebling on Street tires. What kinda difference in Cornering MPH are you seeing to Leh's video there? I've got ZERO lap times in an S2000 on street tires so I have no data on that.

So lets here it... what's it gonna take.

Keep in mind. Street tires, and it's going to have a rain track or two. ONE bad finish puts you out of the running for the one lap (I had a bad finish at the BMW Center in 2009 and that knocked us out for the win). Your going to have to do a Drag strip pass in the 11's (won't win with that but you won't loose to many points). Pull over a g on the dry skid pad, do well in an autocross, possibly run a Dirt Oval track, and do a wet skid pad. The wet events make winning overall on RS3's pretty hard to do.

Oh one more issue. After the one lap the car is going back to SCCA STU trim so I can't do anything that would not be able to be removed to take it back to STU.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be Co-driving the car when we do it. Ian and I allready have some great ideas bur seeing what the current one lap cars are at right now it will not be an easy task to take them down. The main problem seems to be fitting a really large tire (285+) on the car without cutting up the rear fenders because like Ian said, the car has to go back to stu trim when done. Front fenders are no problem they can be replaced but the rear is where the concern is.
Anyone fir a big rear tire on one without cutting the car up?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See this thread. 295s are possible if you custom make a wheel with the right offset.. I think his came out to be 63ish or so, his math is wrong in his post.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/907...mho-295-35-17/
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Here is the other issue. The tire of choice for one lappers is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are TALL. So likely it's gonna be a 285/35 18 or something of that nature. I'm concerned about going too big and having it SUCK in the wet and/or not being able to get heat in the tires at the cooler tracks. If we run some northern tracks it could be cool. Like at Road American in 2008 It was snowing while I was on track for the one lap.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Z1 star spec in 275/35-18 on a 18x10 70 offset?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:54 AM

1.13 at roebling on streets is realy realy fast. I ran on 255 RE-11's a few years ago a 1.21.3 when the car was not realy prepped.
Anyways the corner speeds weren't that much lower like T1 > T2 the lowest he gets is 69, my data says I'm about 67 mph before I get on it out of T2.
Into T3 he is hauling 110+ on entry but hes doing about 101/102 once hes realy into the corner, my data says I was about 96/97mph.
Turn 9 am tipping it in around 96/97mph, he dips to 99mph.
So it doesn't seem like a huge difference but it is ridiculous how fast that car is on the power and on corner entry.
I mean it makes up so much speed hes trailbraking down 20mph+ deep into corners where I am turning in an breathing off the gas a bit.

When I ran that day it was good conditions and I think the car was not even corner balanced and on stock konis so theres potential to get corner speeds up.

For a start you would need tons more power (450HP turbo?), a huge wing, front splitter, bigger tires and take at least 200lbs off my cars 2850lbs weight.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 AM

I planned to do this since it came thru Daytona a few years ago. I am in with the s for 13.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 AM

I wonder if a star spec would hang with a Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I ran them on a Boss 302 a couple weeks ago and I must say they are REALLY good. I mean really good. But that's an idea with that 275 star spec.

Dan I'm guessing Leh's car is in the 700whp range... ISH and fairly close to stock weight. The S has gotta get it under braking just due to weight. The year I ran I was quicker then the GTR that won it (even in the wet) on most tracks except his home track and he had 650whp to our 465whp. I'm thinking an S2000 north of 450 should get enough back on the brakes and in the corners that so long as it can exit the corners and actually put the power down it won't be too far off. I was leaning away from a turbo because of the slight lag and the way the power is delievered might make it harder to put it down. I mean the GT2 I drove that's what it's big issue was. 2nd guessing the throttle application on corner exit for the lag. Turbo cars on track to me have always been like driving an automatic in Drive. You've gotta be guessing the throttle waiting for the downshift. I was thinking a Rotrex but I'd have to come up with a way of boosting the mid range a little more. I drove a Turbo S2000 the other day and even with a tiny turbo on it it still lacked throttle response. Not tossing the turbo out at this point just open to ideas.

The issue with a turbo is the current motor is a 12:0 motor on stock sleeves. I'd almost need to build a 2nd motor if we wanted to run large amounts of boost with a turbo. That pushes the budget way out of the ball park building a 2nd engine for boost.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM

yea whenever I have thougtht about boosting I've ended up looking at rotrex SC's

I think you need to get the aero sorted out, maybe lash up a flat bottom? can u do active aero and knock the wing back on the straight?!

They have a 265 direzza that'd go nice on a 17x10 6ulr wheel we know pretty much they are gonna fit..
with all that power you might wanna go to a stagger I think its easier to get more tire on the rear than the front
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 AM

I did some trial fitting a month or so ago. These are 18x9.5's with a +45 offset. They are close. I found Forgestar would make me a 18x9.5 with a +52.. I think that will fit.

Quick Reply: S2000's and the One Lap of America