S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 Stock class autocross information

Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the Falkens do not seem like they would wear well, I ran them years ago on different cars, they were pretty good but not what I am looking for now.
I have heard that the RS4 tires are not good in the rain so that is out for a dd option.
The contis looked like the best option (and price), I will see how they go. No metter what it will be an improvement over the oem sized all seasons I ran last autox season lol.

I will look around for MrSideways' writeup.

Last edited by exigex; 03-06-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the past I daily drove the RS3 for like 10-12 events plus a 50 run test and tune and 15k road miles and they still had tread left though they heat cycled out. The only thing is that they the Hankooks love heat and are always super loose for the first run or 2.

The RE71R wore out after 15 events a 15 run test and tune plus 8k road miles
Old 07-03-2018, 05:41 AM

What are folks running these days on Camber and caster up front?

Over time I’ve been having my alignment shop cut caster to get more camber. At max caster I was getting maybe 1.5-1.6 degrees of camber but we’ve now cut it back to 4.5 degrees of caster and I’m getting 2.0-2.1 degrees of static camber up front. I had read the reduced caster will cut the amount of camber gain under load. Is more static camber pretty much always better? Need to map the camber gain someday :P.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw that 245/45-16 is available in the Advan A052 for anyone interested in AP1 sizes. Haven’t had that size in a good autocross tire for a while.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:42 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Has anyone tried a 245/255 Yoko A052 setup in stock class? From what I've seen, they may be marginally faster than the RE71R's that I've run for the last few years. My concern comes from hearing that they wear out faster and don't do as well pinched or with limited camber. A stock class S2k on 245 fronts qualifies as pinched and camber limited. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who may have tested.

Side note - Cool to see a possibly competitive 245/16 for the AP1. I wanted that size in RE71's when I had mine.
The following users liked this post:
DavidNJ (02-12-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Has anyone tried a 245/255 Yoko A052 setup in stock class? From what I've seen, they may be marginally faster than the RE71R's that I've run for the last few years. My concern comes from hearing that they wear out faster and don't do as well pinched or with limited camber. A stock class S2k on 245 fronts qualifies as pinched and camber limited. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who may have tested.

Side note - Cool to see a possibly competitive 245/16 for the AP1. I wanted that size in RE71's when I had mine.
Not personally, but the blanket consensus seems to be they run very wide and REALLY don't like to be pinched. I wouldn't try pinching those sizes on stock width wheels.

I plan on running 245 on my STR car this year to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:48 PM
Jub

Received 384 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
Not personally, but the blanket consensus seems to be they run very wide and REALLY don't like to be pinched. I wouldn't try pinching those sizes on stock width wheels.

I plan on running 245 on my STR car this year to see what all the fuss is about.
Well, that at least re-enforces what I've heard. With that being said, I've been wondering what it would be like to run a 245 RE71R front, 255 A052 rear in stock class. Idk how bad a pinch would be and if an RE71 would really perform better on the pinched front wheel. I also wonder how the balance would change with heat and/or rain. Another challenge is that I'd like to be rebate eligible, which B-stone usually runs on 4 tires in April or May. Idk, just throwing an idea out there. Curious to any input anyone has.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jub
Well, that at least re-enforces what I've heard. With that being said, I've been wondering what it would be like to run a 245 RE71R front, 255 A052 rear in stock class. Idk how bad a pinch would be and if an RE71 would really perform better on the pinched front wheel. I also wonder how the balance would change with heat and/or rain. Another challenge is that I'd like to be rebate eligible, which B-stone usually runs on 4 tires in April or May. Idk, just throwing an idea out there. Curious to any input anyone has.
I’ll be curious if anyone tries the A052. That’s actually an interesting idea to keep the stones up front and A052 in the back that could work, but needing rear grip hasn’t been my problem.

I’m sticking with the stones for now due to that feedback about them not liking pinch and some lightly used ones just fell into my lap haha. I did do a season of 245/255 stones and the car tended to push, but I have an 08 which has the stiffest front springs of the non CRs and has always seemed less twitchy from just driving other cars in the street. I also just replaced the original shocks at 200k and the car feels a little more compliant on the front end so maybe mileage was just my enemy haha.

A052s in the back could be something try for next year if I autocross enough to wear the fronts down that much
Old 02-23-2020, 01:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhop101
I’ll be curious if anyone tries the A052. That’s actually an interesting idea to keep the stones up front and A052 in the back that could work, but needing rear grip hasn’t been my problem.

I’m sticking with the stones for now due to that feedback about them not liking pinch and some lightly used ones just fell into my lap haha. I did do a season of 245/255 stones and the car tended to push, but I have an 08 which has the stiffest front springs of the non CRs and has always seemed less twitchy from just driving other cars in the street. I also just replaced the original shocks at 200k and the car feels a little more compliant on the front end so maybe mileage was just my enemy haha.

A052s in the back could be something try for next year if I autocross enough to wear the fronts down that much
We have an AP1 that we've been autocrossing in BS/CS on RE071R's in the stock 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rears. I had tried running the RE071R square 225/50/16's but it wasn't any faster, the steering was vague and we just wore the edges off the fronts. Last fall we picked up a set of the AO52's in 205/45/16 and 225/45/16. They are slightly wider than the RE071R's and an inch shorter. We were quite pleased with our first test and then bagged them until this spring for the Dixie National Tour and the Charlotte Pro Solo the next week. The shorter A052's dropped the top speed in 2nd from ~62 to ~60, but still higher than the AP2 and I felt like we got some acceleration out of it as well. It's clearly no match for the ND's, but it's still a fun car and we enjoy seeing how close we can get.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to toss what I think is a new spin on some old questions, that really only applies to those of us trying to keep our OEM cats to be autocross stock class legal. So its been well documented that the stock S2K catalytic converter does not hold up well to racing. In my personal experience, my original one went after a couple of years (around 95,000 miles) after I started autocrossing. I then replaced it with a used one that had only about 40k miles on it, and that also failed in a couple of years of racing, and like 10,000 road miles. OEM cats are expensive, and I'm tired of replacing them every few years. I haven't autocrossed in a while, but I want to keep my car stock class legal as I'd let to get out there again some time. SO I guess I have the following questions:
  1. Has everyone else been experiencing this amount of catalytic converter attrition?
  2. Has anyone attempted to cut it apart and replace the surrounding membrane that breaks down? If so, where did you get parts?
  3. Has anyone replaced theirs with a new cat and had success? (As in Honda fixed the root cause on service parts)
  4. Any other ideas to deal with this issue?

Quick Reply: S2000 Stock class autocross information