S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 as track tool?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 as track tool?

Hello,

I'm considering a S2000 as a track car. I will use it for tracking and for driving to and from the track. No other functionality needed.

Is the S2000 a good car for that?

The reason I'm considering it:
- relatively cheap
- 240 NA HP (needs more torque tough ..)
- big scene (for information and mods)
- good looking sportscar

What do I need to know prior to purchase? If I'm not mistaken, only the 2002+ MY's have traction control. Does the car need that for track usage? I think not? Is mileage an issue? Or do I just take the cheapest car, neglecting mileage?

I assume, like all cars, it needs suspension, wheels, tires and brake mods for track usage. Any other neccisities?

So basically I want to know more about the car and how it feels on the track. Hope you guys can help me out.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, its a great car for that. I did the same thing last year and still building it.

Buy one race ready, simple. There is one or two for sale right now, just look around here, honda tech or the site forums of the series you want to run with. They are a lot more affordable this year over last year.

If you like working on cars yourself, just buy a cheep one (what I did) then take to your local track. Its a blast. Traction control is not until 06 I think. Any year is good but just look for one that is good mechanicaly and in your budget.

Fresh pads and fluid change required. Get some good tires and be safe. See how you like the car in stock form before you buy suspension. This also depends on your level of experience on track, you may already have years under you belt.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:20 AM

Thnx for the info.

I'm from Belgium. I'm affraid I can't find any race ready cars here. Probably in Germany .. but I would like to build it myself. It will be more expensive, but I like to see and feel the progress. So yes, I'm starting from a stock car and hoping to make it better, faster. That's part of the fun.

I used to track a Porsche Cayman (picture: http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc...458600_1302.jpg ) but I sold it to build something more for the track and less "all round". If after 1 season the S2000 pleases me, I might go further with the car (SC, stripping it, ...), but I want to learn more about it first.

Pads and fluids are always a good start if I want to make it untill the end of the first trackday without worries What kind of pads are common for the s2000? Blue/yellow pagids? Does it need bigger brakes? I'm getting semislicks from the start, so that part should be covered.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Just something to think about - if you are going to be using race tires and don't want to use (waste) them on your way to the track, you'll need to get a tire trailer (or trailer the car). That being said, you might want to consider something that you can carry 4 tires with. You can carry 4 tires in the S2000 but it isn't comfortable or convenient.

Traction control was on MY06 forward.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daggie,Dec 12 2008, 12:47 AM
I'm considering a S2000 as a track car. I will use it for tracking and for driving to and from the track. No other functionality needed.

Is the S2000 a good car for that?

The reason I'm considering it:
- relatively cheap
- 240 NA HP (needs more torque tough ..)
- big scene (for information and mods)
- good looking sportscar

What do I need to know prior to purchase? If I'm not mistaken, only the 2002+ MY's have traction control. Does the car need that for track usage? I think not? Is mileage an issue? Or do I just take the cheapest car, neglecting mileage?

I assume, like all cars, it needs suspension, wheels, tires and brake mods for track usage. Any other neccisities?
Please feel free to search the forum for all the many other times your questions here have been answered in detail.

But "need" is entirely up to you. The car does not "need" any mods except replacing the street brake pads and fluid with higher temp brake pads and fluid. Everything else is personal choice.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 12 2008, 06:55 AM
Please feel free to search the forum for all the many other times your questions here have been answered in detail.
Well, I've tried that. I'm not the kind of person that starts asking question, without looking. And as you said, I can find many topics on suspension and other mods. However, I couldn't find a "roundup" topic.

All the information is "out there", but many people have different ideas regarding mods .. Probably that's the answer I wasn't seeing ... It's racing, opinions will always change ..

I really think I might go for an s2000. A friend of mine has one, guess I'll have to drag him to some dealers to check them for me
Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by patinum,Dec 12 2008, 09:40 AM
You can carry 4 tires in the S2000 but it isn't comfortable or convenient.
I'd like to see pics of this
The roof must have been down
Old 12-12-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=s2kobsession,Dec 12 2008, 08:23 AM] I'd like to see pics of this
Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 12 2008, 11:24 AM
It can be done. One in the trunk and three in the passenger seat. Roof up.
maybe with a stripped interior and 16's. I'm calling BS until I see a picture though
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 AM

This is not a super track car or ring time setter. The caterhams have a far bigger following where you are and are considerably faster for much less money.

Quick Reply: S2000 as track tool?