S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 v Elise

Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S2000 v Elise

I really think these "what car should I buy" posts are stupid, but here I am making one....

I'm running out of patience with trying to keep my S2000 serving as a daily driver and also a track day car. I like it for both, but I don't like dealing with the dual use issues.

So I've been really interested in either getting an Elise as a pure track toy and retiring my S2000 to daily life or getting a second S2000 as a daily driver and prepping my current car as a full time track vehicle.

The only person I know who has done both is Chris Bender (who chose the Elise), but his S was turbocharged and he had nothing but problems with that. I don't think I'd be looking to do any engine mods, just strip most of the interior, install a bar or perhaps a cage, probably find a hardtop and remove the soft top, install more aggressive suspension, etc. Basically the standard stuff.

As I see it, the plus with the Elise would be, well, the Elise. The downside is that I would be tracking an expensive, low-miles car and daily driving a (relatively speaking) beater. Also, I have a fair amount invested in spare wheels for the S2000 as well as a tire trailer for it. I don't have a transport trailer.

All in all, I'm pretty sure the S2000 option would end up being more affordable and would give me a nice, shiny, undented S2000 to drive around in on the street. But the Elise option would be, well, an Elise.

I am planning to rent an Elise pretty soon for part of a track day, which will help me make up my mind. But I don't know how to really compare the difference between a dedicated and prepped S2000 and one that is basically street stock. Can somebody hit me with a clue-by-four on that?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah if you wad up an elise its gonna cost you a LOT more. And you can lease a 06 s2k for $299/mo
Old 05-17-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by krazik,May 17 2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah if you wad up an elise its gonna cost you a LOT more.
Thanks for that vote of confidence!

(Since I already have wadded up the S2000, I was considering that issue....)
Old 05-17-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to make a similar choice a year ago, and I figured that the S will be cheaper to fix when I break things. Plus, it will be paid off soon, at which point I can get a tow rig!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Financially speaking, which I have little back bone on speaking be half of, the Elise is an expensive track toy. One bad move could put you out a lot of money as Rylan said. But....... the Elise is amazing and I wish I had one at my disposal to flog around a track.

That said, taking your "current" S2000 to "track car only" status would allow you to make the car as fun as an Elise IMO.

Good luck, and I agree the final decision making factor will be a day in an Elise.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you get an Elise you'd end up in the same position that you are in now, a dual-purpose car. Will you really just use the Elise for track only? I doubt it. To justify the expense to your conscience, you'll end up driving the Elise most or all of the time, on and off track. Not saying that's bad, but the S would not remain your street car. So it's two S's or one Elise in my view.

Oh, a good real-life example is Prolene who has a track-only (cage and all) S, then bought an Elise, and now he just drives the Elise only on both track and street. I haven't seen the S for over a year. It's moth-ball'ed, and it's one of the sweetest track-prepped S there is (super light with CF hood & trunk, stripped, aero, Mugen everything, all safety hardware etc.).
Old 05-17-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also what would be your competition with the Elise? Tougher? Competitive?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,May 17 2006, 05:35 PM
Will you really just use the Elise for track only?
Yes, I would. Or at least, let's assume this for the sake of the conversation. I have ridden in an Elise, and I have no intention of using one as a daily driver.

(To admit the justice of your point, though, when I bought my S I did intend to use my CRX as my daily commuting vehicle. Didn't happen.)
Old 05-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,May 17 2006, 05:38 PM
Also what would be your competition with the Elise? Tougher? Competitive?
I'm not currently racing or competing, and I don't have any plans to do so. This is purely lapping days.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there was any way on the planet I could afford to do it, I would buy an Elise for a track toy. Hands down no questions asked. I don't think there are any modifications I could do that would equal the driving experience that a 1900lb car has to offer out on the track.

Since you have already riden in one, you also know the downside: any car trip that isn't being done for the sake of the drive experience with the Elise is a pain - it's not easy to get in and out of; don't even bother to turn on the radio if the engine is running; and get some good ear protection if you ever have to take it on the road to get to the next track event.

I own a S2K because I couldn't justify the expense of having an Elise as a track only car and couldn't stand driving a 4000lb Audi S4 after multiple rides in Elises at the track. The S2k was the best road/track substitute I could find.....

Quick Reply: S2000 v Elise