S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2K Challenge Series #1 Results

Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking S2K Challenge Series #1 Results

Hello everyone!

After a two year hiatus, Speedventures has finally revived the S2K Challenge series! Back by popular demand, the first 2009 event was held at Buttonwillow Raceway on the #13CW configuration. It was a strong turnout, with 28 participating members (14 Street, 11 Modified, and 3 Unlimited Class).

Prior to the 1/29/09 race, a ground-up approach was taken to determine final rules and classifications for the series. Using the old 2006 rules/classifications as a baseline, future participants and other S2KI members provided their comments and feedback on how to improve the system based on recent track performance. The iterative process cumulated into a consensus-based set of rules/classifications finalized just in time for the first event at Buttonwillow. For details regarding the schedule and rules/classifications go to:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=665071

To say the least, the first race proved to be full of fun and surprises. On early Saturday morning, drivers braved rain, thick fog, and 51 degree weather to get to the track. Visibility was next to nil on the 5 freeway after descending from Grapevine. The heavy fog limited visibility to approximately 40 feet in certain sections.

After initial check-in and driver registration, Speedventures announced it would delay running any sessions in the morning until the fog lifted for safety reasons. This gave a chance for S2K Challenge participants to introduce themselves to each other and mingle while patiently waiting for the sun to burn off the fog. After nearly 3 hours of waiting, Speedventures announced that it would do parade laps at around 10:30am to help clear the water off the track and shortly thereafter, they sent out the Red Group (advanced) for the first session of the day.

After sending out the first session, drama ensued. From the prior days of rain, the dampness caused the off-course dirt to turn the track into a giant mud bonanza. At least 7-8 cars that went off course got stuck in the mud and had to be towed out. Adding to the drama, a car plowed into the wall after the esses and another dumped oil on a large portion of the track during the afternoon.

Because of all the delays, Speedventures decided not to dedicate a Time-Attack style S2K Challenge session in fairness to the rest of the track drivers. Instead, participants
Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Feel free to post your pictures and videos from this event on this thread!!!

Here is my video (in HD!!!) of my fast lap ( (MAKE SURE TO CLICK "VIEW IN HD" Also let the video fully buffer for best viewing results). I placed 7th overall and 5th in Modified Class...just 0.005 behind Si who took 4th place!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh6P9uHWQCo

EDIT: Someone told me the video above is still choppy...if so, try this link instead:

http://www.vimeo.com/2960813

Here are some additional videos...maybe I was just bored or maybe I just wanted to test my new HD camcorder

The drive up to Buttonwillow (btw, I meant to say "5 & 99 split" in the beginning of the clip. ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisnMI3bmw0

At a gas station off the 58.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAoyDAt2XL8

Arriving at the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuyLnHJvr8g

Some random pictures taken in the day with my crappy point-and-shoot camera:

Fog sucks...

Waiting for the fog to clear:

Kenny after an off-track experience. It almost looked like a giant bird took a huge dump on his car...

Kris unfortunately blew his left axle...eliminating one of the 3 Unlimited Class participants...

William's car was 100% stock a couple weeks ago...look at it now.

NorCal S2000's:

Rob loves his S2000!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 PM

oooo I placed 8th- I just knew that..haha
I thought I can't recieve any points cuz, I was not able to push my car....too much traffic, accidents, less sessions and Laps..,had passenger all the times,,,I know Im excusing...
But, Having good time with friends and s2k guys is always great.
I will try to do better next time.
Congrats to all winners!!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is the video of my fastest lap. I got held up by the Miata at the very end, and Traqmate segment analysis shows that I lost 2+ seconds thanks to him. Oh well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qd9apMUfRI

I did get a bit frustrated with all the towing, which seriously cut into our track time, especially in the latter half of the day when I started to push the car. I don't remember getting any clean laps toward the end. I also managed to crack a rotor all the way through. I got a full replacement through Autozone, thankfully.

EDIT: picture of cracked rotor.

It was a lot of fun meeting some of you S2ki people! Who's going to WSIR in Feb?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by VitaRenovatio' date='Jan 25 2009, 10:26 PM
Here is the video of my fastest lap. I got held up by the Miata at the very end, and Traqmate segment analysis shows that I lost 2+ seconds thanks to him. Oh well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qd9apMUfRI

I did get a bit frustrated with all the towing, which seriously cut into our track time, especially in the latter half of the day when I started to push the car. I don't remember getting any clean laps toward the end. I also managed to crack a rotor all the way through. I got a full replacement through Autozone, thankfully.

It was a lot of fun meeting some of you S2ki people! Who's going to WSIR in Feb?
Nice to meet you yesterday!

Question: How did you get a replacement for your rotors? I heard that Autozone closed the loopholes in their lifetime rotor warranty. I recently called them, and they have shortened their warranty to 2 years, and will only replace them for defects (not excessive wear from tracking). The reason why I ask is because I go through rotors like water. If I'm incorrect about the Autozone warranty, please PM the address of your local store.

BTW, I started a thread to see who is attending the 2/8/09 Big Willow event.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=666464
Old 01-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Oops, I didn't read the fine print. I won't try to do the warranty exchange thing anymore. But those were brand new rotors after only 1 session out! The other rotors were perfectly fine (also from Autozone).

I just brought the rotor to Autozone and said it cracked. They said: "Holy moly! Ok, we'll get you a replacement." No questions asked beyond that. Except one employee took a look at the rotor and said, "what kind of car you driving?" I said, "S2000," and he scoffed, "pocket rocket." Haha...

I think because of how badly the rotor was cracked, they just assumed it was a defect? It wasn't a hairline crack or anything. It was a severe crack. You can feel the difference in height, and it was cracked all the way through...
Old 01-25-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the only pic I got all weekend!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM

Sorry to hear about the motor? how it happen? any warning?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nsxtasi' date='Jan 26 2009, 01:51 AM
Sorry to hear about the motor? how it happen? any warning?
No warnings... I'm still not sure what happened exactly. There is just no telling without cracking it open but its definitely retired.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:30 AM

Damn, sorry to hear that Rob. I'm also sorry I didn't get to meet you this past weekend! I should've looked around harder, but I had my own brake issues... =/

Quick Reply: S2K Challenge Series #1 Results