Sponsor S2000 Engine and S2000 Drivetrain Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 engine and S2000 drivetrain products

SakeBomb Garage Oil Cooler Kit

Old 11-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
Originally Posted by ViperASR' timestamp='1448457397' post='23812243
[quote name='SakeBomb Garage' timestamp='1448418672' post='23812027']
[quote name='ViperASR' timestamp='1448370948' post='23811355']
[quote name='SakeBomb Garage' timestamp='1448343785' post='23811166']
[quote name='plAythiNG' timestamp='1447275128' post='23801112']
Does your mocal sandwich plate have holes for sensors??
No but you can always tap the adapter for an NPT bung very easily in a couple minutes.
Out of curiosity, where would you tap the mocal plate? I didn't think I could find a thick enough piece of aluminum to tap.

Also, props for using high quality components on the cooler. I'd already build a very similar setup, but have a local s2000 buddy who is ordering the kit, and will be helping with the install.
[/quote]
We've tapped them on the side opposite where the Mocal logo (there's a pocket that allows enough depth for most sensor bungs... you can probably squeeze two in there if you try hard but we've only done a single.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response!

I may pull my plate and take a look to see if I like that idea. I believe that side is pre-cooler which is good.
[/quote]

some of the metal on that side is very thin

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledi...l_oil_sprayer/
[/quote]

Not sure what they're going on about, but it's plenty thick for a 1/4" sensor port (even 3/8" should be fine just don't tap it super deep)... maybe they had a bum unit?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1448378158' post='23811437
[quote name='SakeBomb Garage' timestamp='1448342400' post='23811156']
[quote name='yamahaSHO' timestamp='1446683756' post='23795295']
Looks like a nice kit, and configurable!

Questions: What kind of temps are you seeing on the street with the 180F thermostat? I ask because with a 200F thermostat in 40-50F weather, I sat in the upper 130's while cruising to the track this past week. Also, what temps were you seeing on track with both cores in 100F weather?

Back to oil coolers and questions - We’ve put this kit through its paces on the street, backroads, and track over the course of the last 8 months, with rock solid results. Buttonwillow, Thunderhill, and Sonoma Raceways to name a few. The worst conditions this year were at Buttonwillow Raceway here in California during a particularly hot day topping out over 100 degrees F. ambient. We ran the car almost 7 sessions (lost our brakes a couple times and had to pit so it wasn’t a full 7). Sessions were 25+ minute and mid-day temps were damn hot. Temps ranged from 205 early on in the day to a max of 228 at the hottest point in the day, though were rock solid and stable around 220F most of the day. This was with a baffled oil pan, intake, exhaust, basic bolt-ons, and the 25 row cooler. Running the 19 row cooler on other days for comparison (though they were cooler) I would guestimate an average of 230F, so a rough 10 degree difference between the two cooler sizes. There’s a lot of variables but that’s roughly what we’ve found so far. If anyone wants to do some hardcore testing on these things there’s a t-shirt in it for ya but I can say from our experience that we’ve put this kit through its paces over the course of 8 months and quite a bit of track testing… we’re damn confident with it and the Setrab coolers are some of the highest efficiency out there.

So 10,000 ft view is: 220-230F depending on cooler size and track temp.
That's interesting as my 19-row Setrab with ducting runs about 255-257F on track when up in the 90's on a shorter course and 250F at 98F ambient on our longer course with two high speed straights.
[/quote]

I'm not sure, as I said above these were unofficial tests where we were testing multiple parts. Most of the track days we were running the 25 row coolers, and many (besides the one day at Buttonwillow were not ridiculously hot. We're running the newest Koyo, water wetter, etc... there are a few variables and the ambient temp and track itself does play a large factor. We're happy to have customers give some more data points.

That said, are you happy with your 19 row Setrab cooling or would you move to the 25 in retrospect?
[/quote]

Staying NA, I am happy with the 19-row. Provided it is getting enough air, it's able to cool more than 99% of NA S2000's make for power/heat. I am going to try a different placement on my cooler next season as I have an intake to install that goes where I currently have oil lines pass through.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Sponsor

***We're getting a ton of PM's and Emails asking how to get the group buy price on the website, so I thought I should add a post here. **

We dropped the price by $50 on the website, and have an additional 10% OFF store-wide coupon code. Use code BF2015 at checkout through Monday which will add up to more than $100 off the total.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Sponsor

Weekend bump!

8 Kits left! Remember to use code BF2015 until Monday.

Enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving weekend and email us if you have any questions.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1446683756' post='23795295

Questions: What kind of temps are you seeing on the street with the 180F thermostat? I ask because with a 200F thermostat in 40-50F weather, I sat in the upper 130's while cruising to the track this past week. Also, what temps were you seeing on track with both cores in 100F weather?

Back to oil coolers and questions - We’ve put this kit through its paces on the street, backroads, and track over the course of the last 8 months, with rock solid results. Buttonwillow, Thunderhill, and Sonoma Raceways to name a few. The worst conditions this year were at Buttonwillow Raceway here in California during a particularly hot day topping out over 100 degrees F. ambient. We ran the car almost 7 sessions (lost our brakes a couple times and had to pit so it wasn’t a full 7). Sessions were 25+ minute and mid-day temps were damn hot. Temps ranged from 205 early on in the day to a max of 228 at the hottest point in the day, though were rock solid and stable around 220F most of the day. This was with a baffled oil pan, intake, exhaust, basic bolt-ons, and the 25 row cooler. Running the 19 row cooler on other days for comparison (though they were cooler) I would guestimate an average of 230F, so a rough 10 degree difference between the two cooler sizes. There’s a lot of variables but that’s roughly what we’ve found so far. If anyone wants to do some hardcore testing on these things there’s a t-shirt in it for ya but I can say from our experience that we’ve put this kit through its paces over the course of 8 months and quite a bit of track testing… we’re damn confident with it and the Setrab coolers are some of the highest efficiency out there.

I can't speak to the S2000 specifically but my last car was a 300whp turbocharged Miata. I had a (-10) 25 row Setrab oil cooler with a 180* Mocal plate. During normal street driving (also consider the turbo puts significantly more heat into the oil than an NA car) I would normally peak about at about 150* and I would reach about 180* during a spirited drive. During a 100* track day after a 30 minute session I saw 230* measured in the pan. I wished I would have used a 210* plate instead of the 180*. During normal driving once everything is thoroughly warm, your oil temp should end up higher than the water temp. Generally somewhere in the 210 range is good. I would be cautious of a 180* plate on a car that sees street use in a moderate climate, running around on 130-150* oil temps on the street is not good for your engine.

SakeBomb, that is a nice kit you put together. Maybe consider offering a 210* plate option for those of us who have a lot of street time as well. I would definitely be in the market if that were the case.

This same issue was well documented with an almost identical kit offered from Trackspeed Engineering on miataturbo.net
Old 11-30-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered my kit. I will be ordering a 200 plate to install.

https://robrobinette.com/S2000OilCooler.htm
Old 11-30-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 200 degree plate on a very similar setup, and the oil temps seem to run 160-180 in the pan, depending on ambient temp and how I'm driving the car on the street.

I wonder if anyone has fabricated a cheap cover for the cooler for street use?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by ViperASR
I've got a 200 degree plate on a very similar setup, and the oil temps seem to run 160-180 in the pan, depending on ambient temp and how I'm driving the car on the street.

I wonder if anyone has fabricated a cheap cover for the cooler for street use?
We can make one but it would be a bit annoying to install/remove. We've talked about an adjustable louver design and a few other options. That seems rather low, and sounds like the thermostat is opening very early (especially with a 200 degree thermo).

By the way, anyone wishing to order their kit with a 200 degree thermostat, we can swap it for no cost, just leave a note in the order section. As soon as we have time we'll add a radio button to select 180 or 200 on the website but we've been absolutely slammed.

-Heath
Old 11-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Sponsor

Last day, and we're already out of stock. We're still accepting orders until Midnight tonight at the sale price but there will be a one week wait to ship as we restock. We had no idea they would be this popular! Thanks to everyone, and we hope you had a great Thanksgiving break!

Name:  richred2_zps9jweqptu.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  654.7 KB

Through MIDNIGHT tonight!

Select popular items marked down to sale prices PLUS take an ADDITIONAL 10% off STORE-WIDE on all in-stock items.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7
Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage' timestamp='1448342400' post='23811156
[quote name='yamahaSHO' timestamp='1446683756' post='23795295']

I can't speak to the S2000 specifically but my last car was a 300whp turbocharged Miata. I had a (-10) 25 row Setrab oil cooler with a 180* Mocal plate. During normal street driving (also consider the turbo puts significantly more heat into the oil than an NA car) I would normally peak about at about 150* and I would reach about 180* during a spirited drive. During a 100* track day after a 30 minute session I saw 230* measured in the pan. I wished I would have used a 210* plate instead of the 180*. During normal driving once everything is thoroughly warm, your oil temp should end up higher than the water temp. Generally somewhere in the 210 range is good. I would be cautious of a 180* plate on a car that sees street use in a moderate climate, running around on 130-150* oil temps on the street is not good for your engine.

SakeBomb, that is a nice kit you put together. Maybe consider offering a 210* plate option for those of us who have a lot of street time as well. I would definitely be in the market if that were the case.

This same issue was well documented with an almost identical kit offered from Trackspeed Engineering on miataturbo.net
[/quote]

We've got the 200 degree thermostats IN STOCK, at no extra charge. We just haven't had a chance to add the radio button on the website to select it as an option (until then just leave a note in the order comments that you would like to swap to a 200 degree. No charge swap for anyone wanting to run the higher temp thermostat.

Quick Reply: SakeBomb Garage Oil Cooler Kit