S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Scary Alignment Settings.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Scary Alignment Settings.

I'm gonna be honest I'm a little scared now. I have a 2002 and just lowered it on eibach pro-kit springs and koni yellows (on lower spring perch). I knew they looked way out of spec and the car is so freaking low but this is what I got back.

Right Rear
2.40 Toe in -3.48 Camber

Left Rear
1.20 Toe in -1.75 Camber

The shop does performance cars, but they just kept saying go to nappa and get a camber kit. I got pissed when they didn't even raise a ? on the fact that one side is horribly worse than the other. Anyone else experience this? I'm thinking about taking the car to a frame shop, but I'm not sure what they should be looking at, just want to make sure none of my right rear suspension parts are bent.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Reason I post in here is figure this is where all the more extreme setups are, plus I'm sure some peeps have gone off road on a track and bent some parts. I never had the car aligned before suspension, so I can't comment on how it was before. I'm trying to get this resolved before autoX this weekend, I think I'll go ahead and put the Koni's on the upper spring perches to aleviate the camber a little in the rear.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just take it to another shop to be honest with you.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:48 AM

You could see how that would be expensive though. Just for those guys to tell me that it was $40. I'll call around and see if other shops can guarentee something but I could see how that would be hard to do. It's really the only performance shop in Corpus that will do alignments, otherwise it's just firestone and what not. I know for a fact that is a huge hit or miss.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it to a real shop. These guys may be charging you a bunch of money, but they don't know what the hell they are talking about. If you can't find a better shop in your town, try another town.

You will have a problem in the rear with toe and camber being traded off. The solution to that is an anti-bumpsteer control arm kit.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:59 AM

So your saying if I want less camber I may have to deal with more toe? What I want in the rear is 1/8 toe in and -2.0 camber in rear.

BTW Mike I read your diy on the kit you installed, what was the reasoning for it? I'd hate to install a $425 part for my $600 lowering.....(springs and shocks used). Seems like I'm missing something here. Maybe ya'll are right and I am dealing with a imcompetent shop. Too bad I can't adjust out the camber myself just to know that it's possible and then take it to a shop with the knowledge of how to do it.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The kit changes the suspension geometry, making the toe change less as the suspension travels up and down. It also allows for independent adjustment of toe (not possible with the stock hardware).

Up to you whether it's useful to you.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IBTM.

Are your suspension settings with you in the car or without?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 AM

Without me in the car. I'm going to goodyear in a little bit and they have the latest hunter system it's just a drive on, so no worries with my car so low, I'm going to have them align it I hope with me in the car, for sure in the rear.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 PM

So as it turns out I take it next door to goodyear and they have one of those new hunter alignment systems that are level with the ground. Very friends considering my car lays on the ground. Was able to get the alignment to front -1.8camber and rear -2 with no toe in rear. Car handles very much like my z3 I had a while back, very tail happy. Thanks for everyones comments, ill post a review of my suspension as it relates to autox soon.

Quick Reply: Scary Alignment Settings.