S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Schedule up for Open Track

Old 12-12-2000, 11:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

For those of you in the Los Angeles area who want to get time on the track, Open Track has just posted their 2001 schedule. It's a nice schedule, including 2 weekends at the Big Willow Springs racetrack and they've also added Vegas Speedway this year. If you're interested check out
http://www.open-track.com/

Old 12-12-2000, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for letting us know that the new schedule is up.

Bummer that the Willow Springs dates are in July and August! It's awful damn hot then!
Old 12-12-2000, 01:44 PM
Former Moderator

Tom,

The Porsche Owners Club does Streets of Willow, which is a smaller road course at Willow Springs. They allow non-Porsche owners to attend and do it about 6 times a year. If you're interested there should be some dates when the weather is more moderate. The first one is at the end of January. I can post their full schedule if you're interested.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:00 PM

Strike, that would be great! Didn't you join the POC just to run with them? Is it a requirement, and if so, what does it cost?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2000, 02:11 PM
Former Moderator

Tom,

They don't require you to join the club to run with them but it's cheaper to do so. It works out that you pay about the same fees joining or not joining after you've run with them for only two days. So if you expect to do more than two days joining the club is worth it. I've already done three days with them and I have 9 months membership left . Their tentative 2001 schedule for Streets of Willow is:

Jan. 27/28
May 12/13
June 9/10
Aug. 25
Sept. 22/23
Nov. 10/11

For any of the two day events you can go for 1 or 2 days. From what I remember, the cost is $80 for 1 day if you're a POC member and $125 if you're not. I think the two day member price was $140 and I don't know the non member price. It's pretty reasonably priced whether you're a member or not. They also rent transponders so you can get timed laps, which is really cool. And at the end of the day they run you out there alone for two laps so you get two clean laps with noone else around to distract you or cause other problems. I've already decided I'm going to the January event and I know of at least one other S2K that will be there so if you're interested you'll already know some people.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:24 PM

Strike,

When I had my GS-R I ran time trials at all of the tracks (Willow Springs, Streets of Willow and Buttonwillow) with the Touring Car Club. They would have five 20 minute practice sessions over two days with two timed laps on Sunday afternoon for trophies.

After I got my S2K, I checked with them and they require aftermarket rollbars on open-top cars, so they don't allow Boxsters, Z3s or S2Ks.

They also upped their safety requirements to require only automotive-rated helmets (SA95 or better), no motorcycle helmets allowed. Does the POC require automotive helmets? I've asked Santa for one this year, so that won't be a problem.

Now I just have to figure out a way to get my car and my race tires there!
Old 12-12-2000, 02:53 PM
Former Moderator

The POC requires a helmet for the events I've been talking about. I believe they want SA90. They actually do some events on the big Willow Springs track and on some other tracks but those events require more rollover protection than we have stock.
They do give a trophy to the fastest car in each class for the timed runs at the end of the day. They have a bunch of classes for Porsche's and then group every other non Porsche car into one class. At the last event a friend of mine with a white S2K took the trophy both days. He beat me by about 4 seconds per lap but he had Hoosiers and I'm running the OEM S02's. I think we would be competitive with the same tires.
Old 12-12-2000, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd drive down to Button Willow. for Feb... anyone else intereseted?
Old 12-13-2000, 07:44 AM
Former Moderator

Krazik-S2k,

There is a strong likelihood that I will be at that event and I know of one other S2K that will almost definitely be there. Hope to see you there.
Old 12-13-2000, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sweet... I will register... I will see if any other local s2k want to come.

Quick Reply: Schedule up for Open Track