S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Setup for track beginner

Old 06-07-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup for track beginner

Hi All,

I'm about to start tracking my 2001 S. I'll be going to solo I and lapping days as often as i can afford to.

The only change I've made from stock is to install Tein flex coilovers to lower the car just under and inch front and back, for looks only :-) (Regretting that decision now)

I recently purchased some wheels that I like and intend to use for track days.
Volk LE37T 17x7.5 front +48, 17x9 rear +65.

I'm looking into rubber for them. I can get low prices on toyo proxes RA-1.

A local tech suggests 235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 for the rear.
From what I've read I like the rear size.

There aren't that many front sizes available: 205/40/17, 205/50/17, then 235/40/17 and 235/45/17.

I've read about those with fronts 225 or larger front wheels requiring stiffer sway bars. I'm wondering what the experienced members here think is the best solution for my setup. I.e. tire size and/or suspension modification.

My alignment is as close to spec as the tech could get it after lowering and I daily drive my car in the summer months.

I want to be able to swap wheels on track day. I don't want to fuss with much else if possible. I'm trying to become a better/faster driver around a circuit without breaking the bank.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llivings,Jun 7 2005, 01:57 PM
I'm about to start tracking my 2001 S. I'll be going to solo I and lapping days as often as i can afford to.

The only change I've made from stock is to install Tein flex coilovers to lower the car just under and inch front and back, for looks only :-) (Regretting that decision now)

I recently purchased some wheels that I like and intend to use for track days.
Volk LE37T 17x7.5 front +48, 17x9 rear +65.

I'm looking into rubber for them. I can get low prices on toyo proxes RA-1.

I want to be able to swap wheels on track day. I don't want to fuss with much else if possible. I'm trying to become a better/faster driver around a circuit without breaking the bank.
Honestly? The best setup for a beginner would be to go back to the stock suspension. And to start tracking with street tires and only move to R compounds later on.

And if you plan to compete in SOLO stock class, I think you need to have the stock springs installed and use the stock wheel sizes(?).

But YMMV.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:26 PM

As stated, the stock car would be ideal for a beginner, although you probably don't want to remove the coilovers. As far as track wheels go, feel free to go ahead and get some, but don't get them with R compounds. Street tires are easier to learn on and you'll have a better apriciation of the tires when you eventually do move on to stickier rubber.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Definately get rid of the Tein Flex ASAP. They're made for comfortable street driving.

I agree with the above. Use the stock rubber for a while.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:40 PM

llivings:

ignore the above comments

i've tracked several cars with Tein flex, they are perfectly suitable

contrary to often spouted widsom, u r better off with race tires and a buttoned down suspension even as a beginner when on the track. car will be much more composed and u will have more confidence. Street tires are stressed beyond their engineered capabilities, which can lead to failures or lousy behavior when pounded on the track. U still are a beginner, so you still have to get seat time and learn correctly

try Toyo RA-1 235-45-17 with 255 or 275 rears unshave or shaved

this will give u superior dry and wet handling and braking on the street as well compared to any street tire. You have an exceptional car, put on appropriate tires that can complement it.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:51 PM

livings:

ignore the above comments - they're filled with contradictions

Tien Flex coilovers are made for the street NOT track. It's right on their website. These are hardly "buttoned down suspension".

As a beginner, there is no way you're going to stress your street tires "beyond their engineered capabilities" they'll be just fine. Not only that, to suggest that an R-comp (even the RA's) can be run on the street and give "superior... wet handling" is ridiculous.

Go back to the stock suspension and use the SO2's for a while. It's a great platform to learn on.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by toosteeley,Jun 7 2005, 02:51 PM
Not only that, to suggest that an R-comp (even the RA's) can be run on the street and give "superior... wet handling" is ridiculous.
Oh, I'd say that full tread the RA1s do give superior wet handling, up until the point where there is standing water. Beyond that, tires designed for standing water work better.

But I do think the street tires give more obvious feedback to the driver about where the traction limits are. It seems like it would be hard to develop that feel easily when driving with R-compounds as a beginner. And 95+% of the driving instructors I've talked to agree with that, so either they are all wrong or (for most people) it is better to start with street tires.

I've never driven the Teins, but as I said, IIRC they would push you out of the stock Auto-x class. If that's an issue....
Old 06-07-2005, 02:03 PM

livings, this guy is a bozo....listen to me

hey toots if FLEX NOT MADE FOR THE TRACK, THEN EITHER ARE STREET TIRES

the flex are an adjustable coilover with higher spring rates than stock and come with hard aluminum pillow mounts(which usu make noise like a race car), how is that not suitable for track. they have cheap steel bodies and basic valving making them affordable. they also have a full range of replacement spring rates. i do not run them on any car but have tried them out street and track before.

full tread RA-1's are the rain tire for world challenge, furthermore, except for standing water, the stickier the compound the better grip wet or dry, ergo even shaved ra-1's stick like snot in damp/wet(not puddles) compared to any street tire.

i run shaved ra-1's on street.....c'mon over and race me in wet.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. Checked to regs for solo I and want to say that for Solo I it is ok to use the wheels and tires I've mentioned without penalty. It is the suspension that is the killer in penalty points. But as I'm a beginner I'm not so concerned about winning my class (I doubt that would happen even if I was racing in the ford festiva class with my S :-)

Also, I want to make sure that if I use 235 in the front without a stiffer sway bar that I'm not more likely to break something on the car or have a harder time learning or put myself in harms way on the track or street (I'll probably drive to the track with track wheels already on).

Thanks again
Old 06-07-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by llivings,Jun 7 2005, 03:03 PM
solo I
Oops. I was thinking "Solo II". Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: Setup for track beginner