S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Skip Barber Racing School

Old 08-19-2005, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skip Barber Racing School

This is my first RWD car. I have driven a few RWD in the past but not aggressively. I haven't done anything stupid yet but i would like to know that if i push the car i can handel it. I was thinking about taking a few classes from Skip Barber. They do some classes at Limerock Race Park in Ct. I was wondering if anyone has gone and is it worth it One Day Combo($1300) then the High Performance School($1400)

Let me know what you think or

Thanks
Old 08-19-2005, 07:53 AM

a buddy of mine went last year and said it was soo much fun. He learned a whole lot, met a lot of really nice and cool people and got to drive a viper around the track as hard as he wanted. The only downfall is the $$$, but if you have it, i would def. suggest going.. id like to go one day too!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 799 Likes on 442 Posts

I'll say that driving schools are worthwhile.

In your case, I don't know if the program is the correct one, or rather just one of a series of steps. By that, I mean the following - you said you want to be able to handle it if you do something. Will driving a Viper or other car at a school help?

I think the combination of school, with the additional days of HPDEs and AutoX are a good combination. The schools are good for overall issues and concerns, and help with understanding why something happens (or doesn't happen). I think the HPDEs and AutoX in your car, helps to provide the practical experience to be able to deal with situations that may come up.

For some people, doing donuts at the mall is also a part of their education, or playing in the snow/rain, or drifting. Every little bit helps that much more, just realize that not all of these are equally safe, legal or cost intensive.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Don't know where you are but I went to the Bondurant school in Phoenix several years ago and found it very helpful. They offer several courses. I took the High Performance Driving-3 day.

Actually if you do some research you will see that the cars you drive and the driving and training philosophies are different at different schools. You can get plenty of opinions on all sides. A lot depends on what you want to accomplish( street driving, autocross etc)

There are more schools than just Barber and Bonderant but I would recommend doing something. It's kind of an eye opener if you've never been.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:16 AM

thanks for the input

I figure it's worth it so i don't do any damage to anyone else, me and most important my car j/k. I have been tooling around with the car and can get the backend out without losing control but i just want more confident so this way here i can start autox-ing. and see what the handling capabilities are of this go-kart. I rather be safe than sorry...
Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 AM

I'm saving up to go to either the Skip Barber school or the Derek Daly school. I bought the skip barber racing school book off of amazon and it is very interesting. I recommend it for a good read
Old 08-19-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving schools are fun and also the best investment you can make in terms of enjoying your car.

However, it sounds like you are interested in particularly learning about how to handle your S2000. AFAIK, the schools mentioned in this thread all are taught using school cars.

There are other schools that are taught using your own car -- these are cheaper and may be more of what you are looking for anyway. One good place to start looking is at car clubs. Most tracks also have a "resident" performance driving school.

The main issue will be whether they allow convertibles. Some don't.

Also, if you are more auto-x oriented, look for the "EVO" school. It travels around the country.

http://autocross.com/cgi-bin/viewcal.cgi?Active
Old 08-19-2005, 11:33 AM

My wife bought me the Skip Barber into to racing for my 30th birthday, and I could not recommend it more. The most fun I have ever had in a car.......
Old 08-19-2005, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the 3 day competition course and absolutely loved it. I learned more in those 3 days than I had the rest of my driving career combined.

They have a course that lets you drive a Viper, PU, Neon and something else. That would really help you get a handle on RWD.

Be careful about the schools you attend. Insurance can be a real issue. When push came to shove that is why I went to Skip in the first place. They paid for the insurance and other schools did not.

BUT that means the the last race of the course has to be a driving exercise (wink, wink) rather than a race as other schools promise.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:52 AM

Cool. It sounds like i'm gonna have a lot of fun. Now... when am i gonna have the time to take the classes...

I figure that after i get done using there cars i pretty sure you can join the club at Lime Rock and drive your car on there track. From what i remember there is a lot of grass there so if you spin off your not gonna wreck your car too bad. My uncle lived across the street from there and every time i visited i could hear regular street cars in the track. I can't wait to get the S in the track...

Thanks for all the input.

This is a great community.

Quick Reply: Skip Barber Racing School