S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Solo ii classing/rule question/s

Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Solo ii classing/rule question/s

Ok, so I do understand that if something isn't stated as allowed that it is not but after going through the rules I am unsure mostly about removing trunk plastics. From what I can tell it basically bumps you straight to prepared, is that correct? All the way to FP.
Also any input on half cage and removing softop/bulkhead piece? Maybe I shouldn't call it a half cage and just a roll bar as it does only have 4 attachment points...but I know that modifications for the installation of safety equipment like a rollbar/cage is allowed to an extent. I X'd both the uprights and the main hoop and with 1.75 x .120 its not like I was going light weight trying to gain an advantage. But help from somebody better versed in the rules is appreciated.

Mod list:
-Engine-
Berk 3" header-back with HFC (street touring allowed 14.10.e)
Hondata flashpro (street touring allowed 14.10.f)

-Suspension-
KW Clubsports, standard KW spring rates (street touring allowed 14.8.a)
Powerflex bushings, Mugen Front lower rear bushings (street touring allowed 14.8.b)
SPC adjustable UCA balljoints (street touring allowed 14.8.h)
Saner FSB (stock class allowed 13.7.a)

-Chassis / Bodywork-
Schroth Hybrid ii harnesses (stock class allowed 13.2.h)
Sparco Corsa seats (street touring allowed 14.2.b)
Rolled fenders (street touring allowed 14.2.e)
unknown shift knob (stock class allowed 13.2.e)
Removed stereo (street prepared allowed 15.2.n)
Relocated battery (LiFePO) near where spare tire was (street touring allowed 14.9.a)
Custom half cage 1.75" x .120 steel (stock class allowed 13.2.g)
^as a result - removed softtop (Street prepared allowed? 15.1.c), softtop plastic tray, center glovebox, stock roll hoops, metal bulkhead (no clue, some ok for one class and not other)
Removed rear trunk plastics (Prepared category! 17.2.h)
Forbidden CF Mugen hardtop (street modified allowed 16.1.m, but with the CR removable hardtop no softtop maybe still 15.1.c)

Wheels/tires/brakes:
TRW 17x9 wheel with 255/40/17 RE-71r ^2 (street touring allowed 14.3 & 14.4)
2.5" Brake ducting with holes cut for mounting in backing plates (street touring allowed 14.6.c)
DS2500 brake pads (stock allowed 13.6.a)

Also have an APR GTC-200 with 2" risers (Street modified allowed 16.1.k) but have a second trunk lid to swap out for autox depending on class
Minutia, I had the washer squirters shaved and don't have the wipers attached but motors present (street modified allowed 16.1.h)

If I put trunk plastics back in, might I be able to run in BSP, or if not SSM?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you have a picture of all that was removed from the trunk? Looks like you should have no issues running in BSP.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:48 AM

Sure, here are some pictures from just after the bar went in. Essentially everything behind the seats is gone.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Locally you might be fine, but I'm not sure how many people would let that fly at a big event. Maybe try and cut/trim the interior pieces you have to atleast make it appear as OEM as possible.

Most people shouldn't mind, because the bar is going to weigh more than any of those plastic interior pieces weighed but people can be weenies.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

no one is going to care unless you beat them
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
Locally you might be fine, but I'm not sure how many people would let that fly at a big event. Maybe try and cut/trim the interior pieces you have to atleast make it appear as OEM as possible.

Most people shouldn't mind, because the bar is going to weigh more than any of those plastic interior pieces weighed but people can be weenies.
Yeah, I don't know when or if I'll go to national events, and locally it certainly could be fine. But you're basically suggesting that if I put as much of the plastics back in as possible you feel it should fit in under BSP? Soft top removed falling under update/back date in SP. Forbidden top on the car ok as a CR can attend event with no hardtop, and Forbidden top certainly weighs more than no top?

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
no one is going to care unless you beat them
Thats my intention Though anything above STR...I kind of doubt it.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver9k
Ok, so I do understand that if something isn't stated as allowed that it is not but after going through the rules I am unsure mostly about removing trunk plastics. From what I can tell it basically bumps you straight to prepared, is that correct? All the way to FP.
Also any input on half cage and removing softop/bulkhead piece? Maybe I shouldn't call it a half cage and just a roll bar as it does only have 4 attachment points...but I know that modifications for the installation of safety equipment like a rollbar/cage is allowed to an extent. I X'd both the uprights and the main hoop and with 1.75 x .120 its not like I was going light weight trying to gain an advantage. But help from somebody better versed in the rules is appreciated.

Mod list:
-Engine-
Berk 3" header-back with HFC (street touring allowed 14.10.e)
Hondata flashpro (street touring allowed 14.10.f)

-Suspension-
KW Clubsports, standard KW spring rates (street touring allowed 14.8.a)
Powerflex bushings, Mugen Front lower rear bushings (street touring allowed 14.8.b)
SPC adjustable UCA balljoints (street touring allowed 14.8.h)
Saner FSB (stock class allowed 13.7.a)

-Chassis / Bodywork-
Schroth Hybrid ii harnesses (stock class allowed 13.2.h)
Sparco Corsa seats (street touring allowed 14.2.b)
Rolled fenders (street touring allowed 14.2.e)
unknown shift knob (stock class allowed 13.2.e)
Removed stereo (street prepared allowed 15.2.n)
Relocated battery (LiFePO) near where spare tire was (street touring allowed 14.9.a)
Custom half cage 1.75" x .120 steel (stock class allowed 13.2.g)
^as a result - removed softtop (Street prepared allowed? 15.1.c), softtop plastic tray, center glovebox, stock roll hoops, metal bulkhead (no clue, some ok for one class and not other)
Removed rear trunk plastics (Prepared category! 17.2.h)
Forbidden CF Mugen hardtop (street modified allowed 16.1.m, but with the CR removable hardtop no softtop maybe still 15.1.c)

Wheels/tires/brakes:
TRW 17x9 wheel with 255/40/17 RE-71r ^2 (street touring allowed 14.3 & 14.4)
2.5" Brake ducting with holes cut for mounting in backing plates (street touring allowed 14.6.c)
DS2500 brake pads (stock allowed 13.6.a)

Also have an APR GTC-200 with 2" risers (Street modified allowed 16.1.k) but have a second trunk lid to swap out for autox depending on class
Minutia, I had the washer squirters shaved and don't have the wipers attached but motors present (street modified allowed 16.1.h)

If I put trunk plastics back in, might I be able to run in BSP, or if not SSM?
The Powerflex compliance bushing pushes you into BSP or SSM because of the increased metal to "bushing material" ratio.

The carbon fiber hard top puts you into SSM per the rules too.

Normally at the regional level this shouldn't be a problem but if you can drive this setup you would be able to roast the vast majority of competitors. Drop the hard top and you might be able to squeak through nationals.

Removing trunk plastics should still be ok in STR. The other mods are WAY WAY WAY bigger offenders.

-Maniac
Old 02-13-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boostmaniac
The Powerflex compliance bushing pushes you into BSP or SSM because of the increased metal to "bushing material" ratio.

The carbon fiber hard top puts you into SSM per the rules too.

Normally at the regional level this shouldn't be a problem but if you can drive this setup you would be able to roast the vast majority of competitors. Drop the hard top and you might be able to squeak through nationals.

Removing trunk plastics should still be ok in STR. The other mods are WAY WAY WAY bigger offenders.

-Maniac
Don't have powerflex compliance bushing, that one is mugen with same metal as stock. Other powerflex bushings are the UCA bushings...its been 6-7 years since I put them in, but I compared the metal that was removed and from what I remember they were the same as stock, maybe they've been updated since but these really don't have much metal.

So then in your opinion its just the hardtop. What if I just run with no top? If its ok to not have the soft-top in because of update/backdate with CR then it should be ok to run without a top right?

I really do appreciate all the input, I'm trying to make sure I'm complying with the rules but it does seem its a little grey. For now I'll obviously just err on the side of the higher class, probably SSM for now and not bother swapping trunks. But there are those few things that I just don't find real clarity in the rules:

Plastics and interior components removed for roll bar
softtop removed for roll bar and weight and update/backdate
- if update/backdate of softtop removal is ok, then mugen hardtop, or no hardtop

Removing plastics isn't specifically mentioned as allowed until Prepared class, you'd think trunk plastics wouldn't be a big deal and be ok in STR, but since there isn't a safety reason for them to be removed per the rules it falls all the way under Prepared...assuming I'm not missing something though I have been hoping that I am.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plastics can be removed in Ssm. In bsp you can loose the soft top but need to have either the cr tonneau or the plastic stock tray in place and the trunk parts. As someone mentioned it for local and regional events cutting around the rollback should be sufficient. Your apr wing puts you in Ssm or you can install stock trunk for bsp. To be legal you would run without the hardtop but locally you can probably get away with it. Bushings are fine as long a not spherical
Old 02-14-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Silver9k
Don't have powerflex compliance bushing, that one is mugen with same metal as stock. Other powerflex bushings are the UCA bushings...its been 6-7 years since I put them in, but I compared the metal that was removed and from what I remember they were the same as stock, maybe they've been updated since but these really don't have much metal.

So then in your opinion its just the hardtop. What if I just run with no top? If its ok to not have the soft-top in because of update/backdate with CR then it should be ok to run without a top right?

I really do appreciate all the input, I'm trying to make sure I'm complying with the rules but it does seem its a little grey. For now I'll obviously just err on the side of the higher class, probably SSM for now and not bother swapping trunks. But there are those few things that I just don't find real clarity in the rules:

Plastics and interior components removed for roll bar
softtop removed for roll bar and weight and update/backdate
- if update/backdate of softtop removal is ok, then mugen hardtop, or no hardtop

Removing plastics isn't specifically mentioned as allowed until Prepared class, you'd think trunk plastics wouldn't be a big deal and be ok in STR, but since there isn't a safety reason for them to be removed per the rules it falls all the way under Prepared...assuming I'm not missing something though I have been hoping that I am.
The update/backdate doesn't work that way. If you want a CR clone you need to do everything (ie front bumper, tonneau cover, wing) Cutting the plastics to fit a rollbar is fine but your best bet is just to run BSP locally until someone complains. In SoCal we have a "anything goes" street tire class to cover cars like this ... not sure why other Solo2 regions aren't doing this to allow the general modified car community to compete without worrying about the nitpicky classing rules the SCCA has!

Quick Reply: Solo ii classing/rule question/s