S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Top 5

Old 10-19-2023, 03:07 AM

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Top 5

Curious on what tracks you all would rate your top 5 in the country?

I’ve driven more tracks internationally than I have in the us but I hope to one day, have a trailer and be able to tour American tracks with the S.

Last edited by Dibsen; 10-19-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard for me to say top 5, but here are a list of tracks worth driving if at all possible.

Watkins Glen International (great elevation and close barriers)
Lime Rock Park (oldie but a goodie - fast track; everyone tries to get to the one-minute mark)
Virginia International Raceway (full course is amazing with elevations, the climbing esses takes some guts, and high-speed back straight)
Sebring (be prepared to visit the dentist and replace all the loose / broken parts on your car afterwards)
Mid-Ohio (classic old school track, kinked back straight and thunder valley sections are super crazy)
Barber Motorsports Park (if you can get access via an event)
Laguna Seca (American classic with the corkscrew)

If you can get to Canada I recommend Mosport (fluid, fast, with great blind corners and elevation)
Old 10-23-2023, 05:53 PM

Received 564 Likes on 395 Posts

If you make it to Southern California.

Buttonwillow CW13 - it's the de-facto time attack configuration for the West Coast and where Super Lap Battle (pre-cursor to Global Time Attack) was born. It has super technical sections, high speed sections, and lots of elevation changes and blind corners.
Chuckwalla - super flowy and smooth track
Honorable mention for:
Willow Spring International Raceway & Streets of Willow Springs - two separate tracks at the same location. It's where Motortrend and Randy Pobst do a ton of their track tests.

Northern California
Sonoma - it's the track for the West Coast (over Laguna Seca - in fact, skip Laguna Seca, it's HP dominant track and not well suited for the S)
Thunderhill - 3 different configurations including a 5.2 mile configuration - it has everything. It's like a "mini-Nurburgring". It's on my bucket list.
The following users liked this post:
Highline (10-23-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 04:54 AM

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
If you make it to Southern California.

Buttonwillow CW13 - it's the de-facto time attack configuration for the West Coast and where Super Lap Battle (pre-cursor to Global Time Attack) was born. It has super technical sections, high speed sections, and lots of elevation changes and blind corners.
Chuckwalla - super flowy and smooth track
Honorable mention for:
Willow Spring International Raceway & Streets of Willow Springs - two separate tracks at the same location. It's where Motortrend and Randy Pobst do a ton of their track tests.

Northern California
Sonoma - it's the track for the West Coast (over Laguna Seca - in fact, skip Laguna Seca, it's HP dominant track and not well suited for the S)
Thunderhill - 3 different configurations including a 5.2 mile configuration - it has everything. It's like a "mini-Nurburgring". It's on my bucket list.
thanks for the NorCal tracks, those were new to me. I’ve tracked Nurburgring a handful of times but I’ve never heard of Thunderhill. I’m going to have to plan a Cali trip.
Old 10-25-2023, 08:44 AM

Received 1,136 Likes on 999 Posts

What? No love for Road America (Elkhart Lake)?

-- Chuck
Old 10-25-2023, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly I have not had the pleasure of driving that track yet. Looks amazing and scary at the same time. Some heavy crashes with the professional races there.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:15 AM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Ive been range limited to the south east but have ranked those tracks. I consider the whole experience of a facility and not just on track.

Sebring. Pro teams test at the track days. Average amount of runoff. No elevation unless you count the bumps. Power track but very good drivers will have a huge advantage with the surface transitions, bumps, and variable weather. More than one fast line for many of the corners. Huge paddock with power hook ups. Good corner workers. Not close to any major highways. Cheap hotel at the facility. Fried Chicken Club Sandwich at the Snack Shack. Don Jose best mexican restaurant on the planet a short drive into town.

Barber. Eccentric owner/designer influence everywhere. Immaculate grounds keeping and gardening. Balance of power and cornering. Butter smooth with moderate natural elevation change. Designed as a motorcycle track but not to the detriment of cars. Roof top track viewing area. Hotel close. No food on site. Easy to get to. Motorcycle museum 4 stories tall with 1000+ bikes on site is worth a days drive by itself.

Homestead Miami. 2 configurations, 1 of which includes 100+ mph nascar banking. Low grip infield surface to hone your drift skils. Weak food at the track and souroundings. Runoff where you need it but some inside walls catch novices out. Power track. Worst corner workers ever. Very fast and very slow corners. Track limits are a polite suggestion. A far drive for everyone except Miami folk. Hotels not close.

Daytona. Truly unique experience. Tire pressures critical to safety. Decent runoff. 140 mph in a stock S2K. Power track, duh. Lots of hotels food and auto parts stores. Right off the interstate. A little boring once the awe has worn off. Very expensive track fees. Roll bars required for convertibles. Hard on engines.

Road Atlanta. Huge elevation change. Scary track (for me) due to the lack of runoff and commitment needed. Mix of power, cornering, and aero. Food and hotels close. Easy to get to. Pro teams will test at the track day events. Big fields of cars.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Like most, my experiences are a little Midwest biased. However I’ll give it a go

1. Mid Ohio. Great combo of technical and speed. Variable and linked corners. Consistently ranked as the most technical track on the IndyCar schedule. It only gets this spot because they are finally repaving it. The facilities are otherwise downright abysmal

2. Road America. Great facilities. Big bold track. Unfortunately I find it’s mostly drive a corner, race to the next, drive a corner. However those corners are mostly excellent. A bit of a power track, but I love the place

3. Watkins Glen. Excellent variability of corners, technical and fast. However the blue bushes (walls) are real, and real, real close. Very good facilities. Excellent area to spend some extra vacation days afterwards

4. VIR. Technical and fast, a bit less forgiving than Road America. It requires some time to truly master some of the corners. Excellent facilities.

5. Gingerman Raceway. This probably sounds a bit crazy. It’s a smaller track, no great facilities. Kinda small town vibe in the absolute best way. However this is totally a handling track. Great place to learn how to drive, or to enhance your skills. Technical, decent runoffs (though sandy). Always fun!

Honorable mentions: Pitt Race (awesome facilities, great owners, excellent track), and Daytona (the history of the place is special, if the track is somewhat less so. Be careful with your tires here)
The following users liked this post:
sam_spider (10-27-2023)