S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tracking a Cayman S

Old 07-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Well I just bought a HT and aero for the S2k, so I am sticking with my goals that I originally set for this car!
Old 07-06-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Well I just bought a HT and aero for the S2k, so I am sticking with my goals that I originally set for this car!

It really does change the feel of the car.
I've very slowly modded this car, so i've spent a considerable amount of time driving in the following configurations

1. stock suspension - 2 years
2. stock suspension + bbk + square w/t + wing - 1 year
3. coilovers + bkk + square = 3 years
4. coilovers + bbk + square + rcomp tire = < 1 year
5. coilovers + bbk + square + rcomp + F/R aero + rollbar/6-point/hnr = current

the only power mod I have is a test pipe, still on OEM exhaust
my mod priority was increasing reliability, and reduce running costs. go fast parts came afterwards.

The step up to #5 is huge. Every step was huge in its own right with transforming the car, but the ability to just throw certain parts on and go seconds faster - like shave 2.5 seconds off on a 1:25 to 1:30ish track - is so easy. I'm still slow, but it's a very enjoyable and new experience on the track now.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's great news! I really wanted to run my car at some of the larger tracks when I bought it. For the cost though, I have decided that rather than make the S2000 a full blown non street car, I am going to just buy a built race car. Currently, almost have my car maxed for STR class. I still have a lot to learn and hope to keep it like this and continue to do AutoX. Like you, I thought about Vettes, Porsches, Mustangs, and every other car. My current direction is to buy a Gen 2 Spec Racer Ford. You can pick one up for 10-20K and its 13k to upgrade to Gen 3. Most used ones come with tons of extra parts. You can race them on any track including AutoX and W2W! Obviously, this may or may not fit everyone's situation, because it has to be trailered and you need space for another car, but I'm hoping to make it work in the next few years. Sounds like everyone talked you off the ledge though! The S2000 really is a great car!
Old 07-07-2018, 06:19 AM

Yeah, I have tracked it for a while now, have had every bolt off, and have a bunch of spares, so it is hard to not stick with it.

I frequent a couple tracks (Mid-ohio and Pitt Race) and have some goals for the car, so that will make it fun.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

IL300 6S EVO 2 – Inline 6 speed sequential - Elite Racing Transmissions

Multiple ratios, changeable drop gear to change overall ratio, About $8000 with S2k bellhousing and output shaft. Maybe $800 less for a 600hp version.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 PM

I like shifting gears too much . I have a spare AP1 tranny in the basement that my winter project is to rebuild it. IDK what exactly I will do, but I want to try to make it shift nicer than even OEM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Think maintenance as well. I've kicked this same idea around, but is the Cayman nearly as easy to work on as the S?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:45 AM

I like shifting gears too much . I have a spare AP1 tranny in the basement that my winter project is to rebuild it. IDK what exactly I will do, but I want to try to make it shift nicer than even OEM.
My guess is you'd like left foot braking even more. It allows a very smooth control of the car's pitch in the transition from braking to acceleration and acceleration to braking. The norm in all pro racing TTBOMK (F1/2/3/4, Indy, NASCAR)

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Think maintenance as well. I've kicked this same idea around, but is the Cayman nearly as easy to work on as the S?
Isn't the Cayman's engine only accessible from below the car? Aren't all the pieces specific to Porsche and at nose bleed prices?

Isn't the S2000 a simpler roadster, designed over 20 years ago in a simpler era, and featuring a version of one of the great engines of all time with tremendous aftermarket support?

I like the SpecRacer Ford idea, especially for a more advanced driver with a garage to store it and a mid-sized or large SUV or pickup to tow it (maybe 5000# with a lightweight enclosed trailer, 3500# with an open trailer). It is cheaper to run, easier to work on, and much cheaper to do crash repair on. In the old days (1960s, 1970s) small sports cars (MGB, Spitfire, Midget) and formula cars (F/Ford, F/Vee) were often towed behind sedans and station wagons. I towed a Formula Ford (Titan Mk6C) on an open trailer behind a 1973 Chrysler Newport Custom.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
My guess is you'd like left foot braking even more. It allows a very smooth control of the car's pitch in the transition from braking to acceleration and acceleration to braking. The norm in all pro racing TTBOMK (F1/2/3/4, Indy, NASCAR)
Just because you have 3-pedals, doesn't mean you can't still left foot brake...
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Just because you have 3-pedals, doesn't mean you can't still left foot brake...
At some point the driver needs to downshift. Then don't you need the left foot on the clutch and heal and toe with the right? With a dog gear transmission it should be possible to shift without the clutch. Upshift is straightforward, downshift a bit tricky. However, there are shift knobs with strain gauges that let a sequential dog gear transmission tell the ECU to match the revs, I think letting the driver downshift without the clutch. The paddle shifters use an electric switch to do the whole operation, with either the ECU or a dedicated GCU controlling it. Then the ECU/GCU both manages the throttle and pneumatically changes the gear in the sequential gearbox. The Cayman has a DCT which is also electrically controlled. A BMW DCT could probably be fitted to a F-series or K-series engine in an S2000, but would need the right ECU with programming (Syvecs?) and probably some modifications to the central console to fit it. It has been mated to the 2JZ using a Syvecs 6+ ECU.

Quick Reply: Tracking a Cayman S