S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Trailers and Hitches

Old 12-27-2000, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of buying a 2 wheeled trailer to transport my race wheels and tires to the track. My main concern is the warranty. If I ever get drive train problems will the dealer void the warranty the minute they see the trailer hitch welded to the frame?

A lot of 2 seater's, Miata's and Boxters seem to pull these with no problems so I really don't think it will hurt the car. I also remember someone mounting a hitch on their car to mount a bike rack. Sounds like a better solution than trunk mounted units.

I guess I would need a custom hitch for the S2000, I think Southsport makes one, but I'm not aware of any others.
http://www.southsporttrailers.com/track.html

Are there any other recommendation for trailers and hitches? I'd especially like a hitch that is not obvious and will draw very few questions at the dealer.

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited December 27, 2000).]
Old 12-27-2000, 12:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been happy with my Dalan hitch. One of the their distributors is www.hitch-web.com

[This message has been edited by Gregg Lee (edited December 27, 2000).]
Old 12-27-2000, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to a discussion about frame-mount hitches for use with a bicycle rack. In particular, check out Skarv's post, complete with pictures. http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=100
I've seen the South Sport Trailers at local autocross events and they are very nicely constructed.

Old 12-27-2000, 06:03 PM

Gregg, could you post a picture of your Dalan hitch? I found this image of it on the hitch-web.com site, but I'd love to see how it looks on the car. How much drilling, cutting, welding was required?

Dalan S2000/compatable Hitch

CoralDoc, I'd read the bikerack thread awhile back. Lots of good info there.

Skarv used a custom built receiver-hitch, it's more hidden and most of it is easily removable. The down side is that it cuts the bumper (hidden, in the back) and is a custom job.
Old 12-27-2000, 06:27 PM

I think the words below this picture on hitch web say it is a typical hitch, but not this exact hitch. Anyway I will post pictures to files as soon as I locate the cd. There was a thread on H_A net but it seems to be gone.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikey:
[B]Gregg, could you post a picture of your Dalan hitch
Old 12-27-2000, 06:46 PM

hitch photos
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?...31747&a=9090666
Old 12-27-2000, 08:58 PM

Thanks for posting the photos Gregg!

I'm trying to understand where this thing mounts. I see the holes in the trunk, where else does it attach to the car?

If you had to take the car in for major (warranty) service, would it remove easily enough or is it welded in place?

Thanks again
Old 12-28-2000, 09:20 AM

In addition to trunk floor, one bolt through left and right body brackets to which the bumper mounts. The first picture in the album shows one bolt in place just above exhaust tip. These two bolts are a bit tricky - they require a "fishwire" which is provided with the hitch to pull the bolt through. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but as long as you save the fishwire it should not be a problem to remove and reinstall.

No welding anywhere.
Old 12-28-2000, 09:32 AM

Do holes have to be drilled through the body brackets or does it just mount through existing holes?

Do you think those mounting points are strong enough? I don't know how thick the trunk is but it looks like it's just held on by the sheet metal.

Oh, BTW, what sort of trailer do you have. A 2 wheeled track trailer I'm guessing?
Old 12-28-2000, 01:53 PM

You have to drill the holes. See the picture with the drill in my hand? Bracket is certainly strong enough for a small trailer. The bumper brackets do have to handle bumper weight and impacts after all.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?...1747&a=10650528

Quick Reply: Trailers and Hitches