S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Understanding keeping the car 'safe'

Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Understanding keeping the car 'safe'

So, Its coming to that time in the UK when track days are nice and cheap again. I'm off to the track again in November with the view to getting a fair whack of tuition to really start getting a decent grounding in how to get myself round the track. Some of you may remember my thread with 2 youtube videos a while back when I was chasing a black 911.

As you can see in my signature, I've done a few bits and pieces to the car to 'improve' the handling (read, make me have some more confidence and feel) and I'm now very happy with how it feels.

Ideally, I want to keep the car N/A on the track, it just feels more... pure that way. I've done what I'd describe as some 'supporting modifications' with regards to a gutted airbox, more fade resistant brakes etc, but i'm keen to understand what else would help.

I was considering a Hondata Intake Gasket and Coolant bypass for the throttle body to cut down the heat of the manifold, and then a snorkel, radiator plate and samco intake hose to try and protect my intake from the heat under the hood on track.

Is this the sort of thing I should be looking at, or should I spend my money better elsewhere?

Appreciate all the advice and guidance you can give me guys.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My entire drivetrain is stock, and always has been. So yeah, I would say there are lots of better places to spend my money. Where you spend your money is up to you, though.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 PM

Baffled oil pan & catch can.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi conanius, I'm in UK and have the same MY00 silverstone black as you

Looking at your mods, I would say a proper full coilover setup is the way to go.

BTW, I'm goin to brands soon this month, you fancy joining?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 AM

spend the $ on track time
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM

At the moment I can't imagine I'd make use of coilovers with my current skill level. Tein springs have made the car incredible, so I'll upgrade wen I can't out drive this setup.

I'm not going to manage brands, but I'm at Bedford gt on November 21st for an open pit day.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by s2kobsession,Sep 4 2009, 10:43 AM
spend the $ on track time
Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Check your fluid levels before every session. Make it a religion. It's free and may save your engine some day.

I'd spend money on schools and coaching.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 PM

For the track, I wouldn't get the Hondata gasket because the main purpose of it is to lower intake temperature in low speed, stop and go traffic. The air will be flowing into your engine so fast on the track, it won't have time to get heated up by the hot intake manifold anyways.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by conanius,Sep 4 2009, 08:45 AM
At the moment I can't imagine I'd make use of coilovers with my current skill level. Tein springs have made the car incredible, so I'll upgrade wen I can't out drive this setup.

I'm not going to manage brands, but I'm at Bedford gt on November 21st for an open pit day.
Really? how much drop does the tein spring give you? wot spring rate?

I will see if I can join you for bedford, I have been there once, it's probably the best track for trackday in the Uk, I could really feel safe to push and try the car and the instructors are very good, I can say my driving was improved after that day!

Quick Reply: Understanding keeping the car 'safe'