S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Uneven rear ride height mystery - help!

Old 08-03-2018, 04:11 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Uneven rear ride height mystery - help!

All,

I have an issue with my ride height. I bought my car with these Bilstein pss9 coilovers already installed on it, but I wanted to raise the ride height a bit. Today I adjusted the F and R height, front came out even both sides no issues. The rear however...

The rear passenger side is sitting 1/2 inch higher than the drivers and I can't seem to get them even. The problem is, the passenger side coilover is adjusted almost all the way down (low) and the driver side is adjusted almost max high.... yet the passenger continues to sit higher. See pics below for reference!
  • I tried loosening the bottom bolt holding the coilover to the control arm, setting the car down on the ground and tightening it back up, no dice. I am sure to bounce the suspension every time I make an adjustment to settle it a bit, no difference.
  • I have swapped the coilovers to opposite sides, passenger side continues to sit 1/2 inch higher.
  • I have clocked all bushings during the coilover swap.
  • The LCA/A-Arms moved freely/easily with full range when the coilover was out.
  • I verified the coilovers are all matching part numbers and measured all components to be sure. They are exactly the same.

Some things to consider:
- I did not install these myself, but the installation looks identical on each, top and bottom.
- The car has 150k miles on it, clean title, no accidents, all matching VIN panels.
- These coilovers have about 70-80k miles on them, but ride well and adjust compression properly.
- I verified the coilover, springs and helper springs all have matching part numbers on them.
- I just had a 4 wheel alignment done a month ago. All is in spec and adjusted properly.
- Garage floor is typical 2 car garage with drain in the middle. There is very little slope to the floor.

I've noticed since I bought the car the rear has always felt unsettled, now I know why!

The LCA/A-Arms look straight, all panels have matching VIN stickers. I don't believe the car was ever hit. Is there any way to measure/fool proof way to tell if LCA or something there is bent?

What else can I try?!?!?

Pics for reference:

Old 08-06-2018, 05:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a quick observation. Helper spring looks fully compressed on driver side. Passenger looks like it isn’t. Not familiar with these coils but can you adjust preload?