S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Voltex front bumper and autocross

Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Voltex front bumper and autocross

Hi guys, I'm thinking about installing a voltex front bumper (shine rep), but my OEM AP1 bumper gets some abuse from hitting cones. I'm a little worried about damaging the lip/aero that comes on the voltex bumper. Has anyone run this setup in autocross?
Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a real Voltex bumper and I have autocrossed and tracked the car many, many times. I will tell you cones will do nothing to the bumper but punt them in the air really high. Tell you the truth rock damage and driveway damage is the most damage I have execpt for scrapping going in and out of my trailer. Be sure to protect your radiator because there is nothing in the bumper to protect it. So I would suggest getting some chicken wire or something like that from Lowes to protect your radiator.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's good to hear, thanks! The OEM bumper doesn't have much protection for the radiator, except maybe from blocking really large things. I suppose a cone could fly into a voltex opening.Have you had problems like that?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stooga
That's good to hear, thanks! The OEM bumper doesn't have much protection for the radiator, except maybe from blocking really large things. I suppose a cone could fly into a voltex opening.Have you had problems like that?
No I have never had a cone go into my bumper, usually once you hit them nose on they will get stuck somewhere under the car on the chassis and get drug around the course. On the track I get rubber and other random debris. The bottom line is you will need to protect the radiator from large things, a soft rubber cone will do no real damage but break weak plastic in the stock bumper however, a rock the size of golf ball will punch right through.