S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

What SCCA autocross class?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Road racer
Thanks for the offer on the tires but I don't have an extra set of wheels and currently this is out of my racing budget.

I would think that 275's would be too wide for a 17x9 rim. (?)
Roger that bud.

275's are actually more than sufficient for a 9" rim. The hot setup on AP2's in stock class was 275x4 on the stock 7" front and 8.5" rear wheels
Old 03-15-2023, 06:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just looked at the 2023 SCCA rules and find the s2000cr is in AS. So is the standard S2K in AS too?
Old 03-15-2023, 08:57 AM
Jub

Received 389 Likes on 311 Posts

S2000 of all years are CS. ND Miata is still the car to have, especially on tighter courses.

Unfortunately, the S2k isn't really that competitive in anything except the extreme builder classes at this point. Depending on your region, you should be able to win CS/SST/STR/BSP locally. At a high level, it's pretty much only XA, SSM, etc. where the build quality matters more than the base car.

Last edited by Jub; 03-15-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jub
S2000 of all years are CS. ND Miata is still the car to have, especially on tighter courses.

Unfortunately, the S2k isn't really that competitive in anything except the extreme builder classes at this point. Depending on your region, you should be able to win CS/SST/STR/BSP locally. At a high level, it's pretty much only XA, SSM, etc. where the build quality matters more than the base car.
Thanks Jub. Could you provide a bit more information about your last sentence please? Quality vs. base?
Old 03-15-2023, 08:17 PM
Jub

Just meaning that whether you start with a Miata, S2k, M3, 240sx, etc. in those classes, you end up so far from the base car that the base doesn't matter all that much. There are certainly wrong bases to start with but there are multiple right ones as long as the build quality is there. It basically needs to weigh close enough to its minimum allowed weight, stuff massive hoosiers underneath, make enough power with a decent torque curve, have good gearing, have decent aero, and not break. Suspension design, car width, and all that matters but not as much as the basics of power, weight, tires, and aero. Below is a video of the S2k that has won SSM a few times. If that driver applied his knowledge and driving to a Miata, E36 M3, or 240sx, I think he'd win in any of them. It's a builder/driver class is my point. XA is basically the same car with street tires instead of hoosiers. In the less modified classes, the base matters more.

Don't want to discourage you, as I love my S2k. It's fun to drive and I've been autocrossing only s2k's for like 7 years. They're just sadly not competitive in street classes anymore. I've still had event and season wins locally but am starting to care about national competitiveness. They just aren't top tier anymore.

Last edited by Jub; 03-15-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:07 AM

Ok, Thanks Jub.
I should have investigated more before I bought I guess. I did not want to be in a class teeming with Miatas. My plan is to keep the car stock except for wheels, shocks and sway bars. I will look for a class I can run that way and have a chance to win. The car is too valuable to modify much now.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:21 AM
Jub

Shocks w/ stock springs, stock width wheels, and a front swaybar will put you into CS. I was in CS a few years back when RE71R was the hot tire. I ran 245 fronts, 255 rears. I'd think you could do the same with RT660s. With A052s, you'd probably destroy front outside shoulders of the tires.

Wider wheels and/or two swaybars put you into SST/STR, whatever it is. I think it's SST this year, will be STR next year. Unless you have national contenders in your region, you can win in CS/SST/STR but you just have to be that much better than anyone that shows up in a prepped ND2. They're nearly 500 lbs lighter and have more torque in the low RPMs. It was kinda fun to try to beat the NDs and definitely made me a better driver in the process. In miata classes, you'll have competition at any event you go to which is way better than winning an empty class. SST/STR setups are a ton of fun to drive if you went in that direction.

Last edited by Jub; 03-16-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Just meaning that whether you start with a Miata, S2k, M3, 240sx, etc. in those classes, you end up so far from the base car that the base doesn't matter all that much. There are certainly wrong bases to start with but there are multiple right ones as long as the build quality is there. It basically needs to weigh close enough to its minimum allowed weight, stuff massive hoosiers underneath, make enough power with a decent torque curve, have good gearing, have decent aero, and not break. Suspension design, car width, and all that matters but not as much as the basics of power, weight, tires, and aero. Below is a video of the S2k that has won SSM a few times. If that driver applied his knowledge and driving to a Miata, E36 M3, or 240sx, I think he'd win in any of them. It's a builder/driver class is my point. XA is basically the same car with street tires instead of hoosiers. In the less modified classes, the base matters more.

Don't want to discourage you, as I love my S2k. It's fun to drive and I've been autocrossing only s2k's for like 7 years. They're just sadly not competitive in street classes anymore. I've still had event and season wins locally but am starting to care about national competitiveness. They just aren't top tier anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlt7fA6KnIA
Robert doesn't even like AutoX these days, since he's found drifting. That car is pretty nuts though. He ran a 10 second pass at Bandimere a few years ago.

I'm sure some of you already know, but he used to be a professional driver:

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 03-16-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:18 AM

Cool! Thanks for the info. We do have a number of national champs from the Indy region but they don't all show up at once. Not sure if any are running in CS.

When running my CM there were a couple of guys who beat me badly, one has been a national champ a couple of times. Naturally I immediately suspected the legality of their cars.,

at most events I was the only CM and so fought for FTD.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:29 AM
Jub

S2000 will be fun and can still get in class wins. In STR/SST trim, you can still be the fastest car on street tires too. A STR ND2 is regularly the fastest street tire car. FTD may be possible in a STR/SST car depending on who shows up. If you have anyone decent in any vehicle with hoosiers, they should beat you in raw time. Since the S2k is not the top car in any class, it's also an uphill battle in PAX too. You can do well and have tons of fun but you may need to readjust your expectations if you're used to competing for FTD at any given event. The good news is that CS and STR are typically pretty full classes that are fun to compete in.

Last edited by Jub; 03-17-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: What SCCA autocross class?