S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wilwood's own brake kit

Old 04-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wilwood's own brake kit

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here is using the wilwood brake kit they are offering themselves. I have done lots of searches it appears most people are using a kit that was done by Sherwin many years ago. I was curious if anyone here is using the kit that Wilwood offers themselves

Name:  Screenshot2010-04-10at74907PM.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot2010-04-10at75132PM.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  71.7 KB

I'm particularly interested in these kit due to its lower profile compared to most big brake kits for wheel and caliper clearance.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

What are you trying to accomplish by buying a BBK? Whats wrong with the oem system?

First thing I'd look at are the piston sizes, then compute the overall piston area and compare that to the OEM piston. I wouldn't buy anything far off from OEM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 AM

I agree
Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the main problem with the other Wilwood kit was that the pad area is significantly less than the OEM pads. I would look into how large the pads for these calipers are.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll tell you what I accomplished with the previous kit (from Partshelper, if that is the 'Sherwin kit').

- quick pad changes as they're the simple cotter-pin style

- MUCH cheaper pads. For same pad compound (let's take Hawk HT-10's, the Wilwoods were 1/3 the price for basically the same swept area/pad life). The kit paid for itself in my first HPDE year of using it.

- Much bigger selection of pad compounds. Right now I'm a fan of the Wilwood Poly A and B depending on track, but there's so much more available to try (and I have 2 friends with Miatas with the same setup, so we share and economize on spares and backups).

- I found a much cheaper supplier of blanks; Behrents. I can by rotor surface blanks for less than $40 shipped, and they have lasted as well as any other I've seen. I don't care for the hassle of 2-piece rotors, but at that price I bought a spare hat and keep one ready for a quick change in case of a crack.

The old kit is the Dynalite II caliper, which is okay, not great. The braking seems to me exactly the same (which is plenty good enough in my opinion) , though the bleeders suck, leak and make you end up wanting to over-torque them and break them. Use some Teflon tape to seal the threads and it's all okay.

What I really want now is to have the exact same calipers at all 4 corners (I don't care about the parking brake), as I go through pads front to rear at at least a 3-1 ratio. More so when it's a hard on the brakes circuit where performance seriously suffers after the pads wear beyond 50% friction material.

So what I'd love to do is come off a track day or 1/2 day, and swap my front pads to the rear and put fresh fronts on. Additionally, I'd only have to buy 1 size pad in bulk. I do recognize that I'd have to put a bias adjustment system in place, and it could mess with the ABS.

What I would like is a setup with
Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM

To answer the questions. Who has bigger sweep area...

Honda S2000 front D829 brake pad size.

Wilwood SuperLite 6R 6 piston caliper uses 7461

Honda S2000 OEM pad area ~ 11 inches squared
Wilwood 6 piston pad area ~ 11.5 inches squared

I say approximate because I just took length x width.

So the Wilwoods have better heat sink capacity. Bigger area. Thicker pad.

If the intent of your question was that bigger pad area = more grip. That is wrong. Force of friction is not dependent on surface area. Force_friction = coefficient of friction kinetic * Normal force applied.

Area is independent of force of friction. Because Normal force is calculated by the Normal force per area multiplied by the area.

I have an eye on this brake kit because of it's low profile and availability of parts.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My intent was not about more area=more grip, just that it seemed that the Dynalite II pads were experiencing a much shorter pad life than those being used on OEM calipers.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 AM

I'm not going to disagree with you on the dynalites. This kit uses the narrow billet slr 6 piston. Which is a completely different caliper than dynalites or even the dynapros.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 13" Wilwood kit. The car stops...well. I love the ease of the pad changes and the weight savings over stock was startling. I'm pretty pleased overall.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Hi courage007,

do you have the exact kit that was posted in the initial post or do you have an older kit that was put together by brakezone?

Quick Reply: Wilwood's own brake kit