S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Would Like Some R&C Opinions on Rotors

Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would Like Some R&C Opinions on Rotors

hey r&c guys - i'm a new owner and my S is definitely more toy than race machine. that said, i'm not interested in doing anything that detracts from the performance aspect of my car. so, before i do any modifications to functional parts, i figure i'll run ideas by you guys, seeing as how when it comes to function you know what the hell you're talking about (as opposed to other forums where i've found bling motives can really skew peoples opinions). anyway, here's my question - i'm going to paint my calipers black and i'd like some pretty new rotors to make them pop. improved braking for improved safety would be nice too. so, i've read enough to know that drilled holes in my rotors are strictly bling, and come with an increased risk of cracking and wear. as far as slotted rotors go, it seems like most people toss those in with drilled rotors, but there's a minority that seem to think slotted rotors are helpful. cut to the chase and give it to me straight: what rotors should i get? sure slotted look better, but if they don't brake as well, or they're more prone to crack, i don't want them. if slotted are bad, tell me what i should consider instead. anybody know anything about "frozen" rotors? helpful? marketing gimmick? eh? or, if the best thing is just to clean the OEMs, let me know that and i'll ask how best to clean them in the wash and wax forum. thanks.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:24 PM

oh, and sorry for posting in your forum yet another rotor/brake question. please know i HAVE searched and HAVE read a lot of info already - i'm basically just looking for some final opinions concerning the plusses and minuses of non oem rotors ... for instance, are slotted rotors just as faulty and crack prone as drilled, or are they suitable oem replacements if i prefer the look? the bottom line is i'd like a different look, but not at the expense of braking ability. if i'm going to own a race car, i'd like to some day track it and certainly am not interested in undermining any of its renowned function for the sake of appearances. i picked the S because people like you r&c guys drive it. that's why i want your opinion.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 PM

Ive never used anything other than oem rotors...

but Ive never had an oem rotor warp, just crack, from track use.

oem rotors rust, and where the pad doesnt touch the rotor youll see a little bit of rust. basically what do you want, proven brakes for the track, or something that looks nice.

everyone here is going to tell you to stick with OEM... if you want something that looks cool you are in the wrong forum.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM

i'm just interested to know if that's everyone's opinion because oem perform great and are inexpensive, or because other rotors in fact detract from performance - i WOULD like something that looks different, but prioritize my car's safety and performance. i'm wondering if i can have both. it's my impression you guys are the ones to check with about the safety and performance end, thus why i am posting here.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This topic has been covered over and over. It is boring. Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:18 PM

slotted rotors have worked the same for me on race car.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 5 2007, 05:58 PM
This topic has been covered over and over. It is boring. Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!
but we would not want to touch your monkey
Old 07-05-2007, 05:53 PM

Honestly, if you're not going to track you're car, you can probably get away with using any rotor you want. The type of performance or reliablity loss with even the crappiest rotors would most likely never be noticed in regular daily driving.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Old 07-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get them drilled and gold-plated.

Quick Reply: Would Like Some R&C Opinions on Rotors