S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

First Kill In A While

Old 07-19-2004, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy First Kill In A While

So, I'm cruising home today on the 101 Fwy doing about 65 in the slow lane about to exit. All the sudden, this late model black civic hatch pulls up next to me and starts blippin his gas. From the sounds, I knew he had exhaust, but no turbo so I just ignored him and laughed each time the driver looked over at me. The dumbass wouldn't give up so I figured what they hey. I downshifted to 4th, laughed at him one more time, and punched it. That was that. I took it to red in 4th until I had about 15 cars on the guy. Looking back, I have no idea why I wasted my time.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:09 PM

Sometimes the temptation to downshift and slam on the gas is all you need, even if you're only tempted by a civic.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be careful.........it's easy to laugh at a civic when you can't see under the hood.... but a lot have swap w/ bolt ons that could suprise an s2k.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by mustangkiller01,Jul 20 2004, 04:06 AM
be careful.........it's easy to laugh at a civic when you can't see under the hood.... but a lot have swap w/ bolt ons that could suprise an s2k.
agree.

But also, if you were only doing 65, why down shift into 4th and not 3rd and punch it up to 90? Downshifting into 4th wouldn't given you that much edge, and it would've been more fun if you were in third.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:41 AM

civics mess with me all the time, and every time i murder them, they are shocked to see that my car is basically stock, with just an intake and exhaust.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:17 AM

I'll bet he just wanted to see/hear you take off. Probably a Honda fan and doesn't see too many S's. But maybe not, you were there, not me.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM

I had a Civic hatch pull onto the freeway beside me one night and I noticed pillar gauges. I wasn't sure if he was just another rice-boy with oil temp and pressure gauges for his big bad performance machine (aka Civic) because we all know that those are a must-have at those hp levels , but then he took off and I followed. I wound up getting up along side him again and we were ready for a nice rolling start from about 60mph. I pulled him, but not as much as I expected. I was about a car ahead of him to 100mph. He was definitely boosting, but not boosting enough!
Old 07-20-2004, 05:26 PM

My thought on the ricer boys in civic are that if by some remote chance you miss a shift or they find some way to beat you on a technicality, they will brag as if they knocked out Mike Tyson. Especially if they got abuddy riding w/them.

"I knocked out Mike Tyson"
5 years later...."ahhh, remember the time I knocked out Mike Tyson?"

You get my drift? It is total bragging rights and they have nothing to lose.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by dcak,Jul 20 2004, 11:17 AM
I'll bet he just wanted to see/hear you take off. Probably a Honda fan and doesn't see too many S's.
i get alot of those
Old 07-21-2004, 01:21 PM

On a slight tangent to what SgtSaunders said, Yeah, there are so many excuses thrown out on this and other forums when it comes to racing and losing winning or whatever.

- An S2k barely loses to a Porsche "Oh well, he paid 3x as much and I still almost beat him. He overpaid for his car."
- An S2k loses to a moded SRT or SVT Neon (whatever it is) or a moded Civic, "Oh well, his car is JUST a Neon"
So what's better the faster car, or the "better" car. I'd rather be able to easily afford the $75K Porsche, even if a car for a third of the price could beat me...
- An S2k beats a mustang, mustang owner says "Well for $XX I can make mine faster than you can for the same amount."
- A "little" Civic with turbo, etc beats an S2k, S2k owner says, "Well anyone can throw 10 grand into a car and make it fast, doesn't mean it's a cool car.
As they always say, always a faster car, just depends on what you're going for in car.
- Someone will say and RX-8 is a piece of shit, cause it's slow, but then if someone says that a Cobra is faster than an S2k, the response is, "Yeah, but I bought my s2k for my own particular needs and wants, not for a drag car"... But isn't that what the RX-8 owner did, too?

And if a "ricer" adds and body work to his car, he's gay for trying to make his car look like a cool car (even though it's probably just a high school kid who can't really afford an S2k or 350 Z), but then if and S2k owner puts on the Amuse lip, his car looks "sweet". But I agree totally, the fart can exhaust should go, but then again I've heard people on this very forum talk about CAI and exhausts they've added to the S, knowing that it will add like 5 HP, but they do it, to make their car sound better.

I was just ranting and playing devil's advocate. It's just kind of funny how much people rag on others on an internet site, since it's anonymous.

But finally, cheers to people who appreciate good cars or different type, love their S, but also realize it's not necessarily the best thing on the road, and even if it was... Honda did all the design work and deserves any credit, not the guy driving it! I happen to love the S, but I always feel awkward when someone complements it. Like I had something to do with it looking sweet. "I'll pass that along to Mr. Honda, next time I talk to him"

Wasn't trying to be on a soapbox.. I'm just bored at work.. Not trying to piss people off, just posting some observations..

Quick Reply: First Kill In A While