S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

FL drivers beware

Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MugenRioS2k,Dec 19 2006, 10:01 PM] I acc from a traffic light and the car beside me acc faster then me he is the one racing not me as long as I don
Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 PM

I guess then last nite I was racing a minivan when I took off rather briskly along with him and oh wait every other car in line with me. I guess it was a 4 lane race with an S2000 two minivans and some 80's era junker.

If someone wants to enjoy the fast acceleration of the S up to the speed limit whats wrong with that.

I pull up next to lots of other "sports" cars and take off fast.

Then again I do the same when I'm next to a corolla.

Sometimes I take off slowly, just depends on my mood.

Cops have way to much leway in choosing what constitutes racing when there aren't two cars flying at 85 in a 35
Old 12-19-2006, 11:26 PM

i persnally feel that racing should not be done on the street, but done on a closed course, but that law sounds like it gives way too much authority to the cop. You could be driving next to somone and get pulled over at the end of the month for driving next to somone or accellerating past somone to meet the quota or whatever. Sounds like a crap law to me.

-Ian
Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ruprecht,Dec 20 2006, 12:40 AM
Well, one definition is a "competition of speed".

So assuming that you feel it is OK for someone to get busted for this when they are under the posted speed limit (all of these example assume the posted limit was not exceeded):

How about a person that pulls into traffic and accelerates aggressively to keep from getting rear-ended by oncoming traffic? (competing against the oncoming vehicle using speed to not cause and accident or disrupt traffic flow)

What about someone that is merging on an on ramp, and punches throttle to catch a gap and not run out of lane? (competing against the flowing traffic using speed to align yourself with a slot to not cause and accident and not disrupt traffic)

What about a person that speeds up in the passing lane so they may quickly get around the vehicle being passed and back to the cruising lane (safety issue to minimize blind spot zone and reduce the risk factor that a driver will drift into your lane or suddenly change lanes without looking first)? (competing against the vehicle being passed using speed to minimalize time in the risk zone)

Or is it only a "competition of speed" when the other driver is also giving it gas? Is it a race when he and I give it gas above a certain threshold? Is there an acceleration rate that both parties must be pushing in order for it to be a 'race'? If a guy is passing me at the start of a hill, and my cruise control feeds gas to the engine after it detects a decrease in speed, and so accelerates a few miles and hour just as a guy is trying to pass me by a few miles an hour, am I 'racing'?

Another example (of thousands) of how our country is dying on the vine...it makes me a bit sad when I think about it.

I hope cops dont go crazy with this.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:35 AM

I got the same fine back 10 years ago for driving next to my roomates car to see what everyone was up to . Then I pulled in front of him the get in the left turning lane . Next thing I know we were pulled over .

Heres my question , was the cop driving the Mustang ??or any hint the Mustang was with the cops ?

because I would play the entrapment card in court
Old 12-20-2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by ZONG9,Dec 19 2006, 07:50 PM
1. Drive any motor vehicle, including any motorcycle, in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, or exhibition of speed or acceleration or for the purpose of making a speed record on any highway, roadway, or parking lot;
This is the really idiotic portion of this statute." or exhibition of speed or acceleration" Meaning shifting your car at 8K can be assumed to be an exhibition of speed or acceleration. There doesn't have to be any other car on the road with you, or even near you. It is totally up to the officer to decide.
I know someone I used to autocross with at work who was charged with racing for chirping a 1-2 shift.
Fortunately they (police) don't really seem too abuse this statute all that often, I'm sure because going to court and saying "I saw this guy speed up kind of fast" isn't usually going to result in a surefire mindemeanor conviction.
Still, the way this statute is written, just about anything can constitute 'racing' in the Sunshine state.