S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Question about Signal/intersection tech

Old 07-27-2004, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Signal/intersection tech

~a street near our house has recently got a signal set up at it. red light green light etc.. but like alot of other signals ive seen it has 1 whitish security camera looking thing(which my dad keeps saying is a speed detector and takes pictures of speeders when they run a red etc..)
~and there is another object that looks like a small rectangular box, with 2 cylinders pointing out of it. Im sure you have all seen them ontop of signals. If u look at an intersection its the little bird like objects on the pole that seem to do nothing.

i think the 2nd one is something that just sees how much traffic there is to adjust when the lights change but i want to know if these things are actually speed detectors, cameras for some reason. I search on the internet but hard to isolate searches about, objects on signal lights. Wanted to know if u guys could shed some light
Old 07-28-2004, 09:13 AM

they are cameras taht will take a pic of the front of your car and then the back of your car if you run a red light.. the front will capture the look of terror on your face when you see the light flash cuz you know you crossed a red.. along with your license plate. and if you don't have a front plate, that's what the picture of the rear of the car is for.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The small rectangular box you are referring to is used by law enforcement and medical personel to trip the signal light to give them a green light in their direction and red lights for the rest of the signals. It is activated by a transmitter usually on their light bars.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:13 AM

The camera watches the amount of traffic to adjust the light for better traffic flow. We have them at almost every light in our town. So go ahead and have FUN!

Old 07-28-2004, 11:26 AM

Thats nice.... How about if they put a camera in neighbor hoods that have high crime rates instead of worrying if some one took the red light or made a u turn.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:19 PM

ic thx, maybe ill just get one of those license plates that make my plate unviewable at certain angles besides head on ^^
Old 07-28-2004, 07:21 PM

...but I wonder if you can get a ticket for one of those...'

And F1... speak on brotha'... that is a bunch of , isn't it...?

Last... I've read about 4 answers as to what they could be... and obviously... it can not be all... so what in fact, are they?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by joeking1978,Jul 28 2004, 07:21 PM
Last... I've read about 4 answers as to what they could be... and obviously... it can not be all... so what in fact, are they?
If there's no signs around the intersection stating that it is photo enforced, then usually it isn't (but different states and cities may have different laws). They are most likely as stated above- the box for emeregency vehicles and the security camera look-a-like is a camera that senses the presence of vehicles waiting. A good way to check for this is to see if there's the characteristic lines in the asphalt in front of the intersection that hold the traditional sensing wires. They are typically about 3 in parallel or in an octagon or figure "8" shape. In my experience, lights that have the cameras do not have the sensing wires in the asphalt, so it's easy to tell what their purpose is.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by s4m222,Jul 28 2004, 12:19 PM
ic thx, maybe ill just get one of those license plates that make my plate unviewable at certain angles besides head on ^^
ok. just so you know.. those plate covers are ILLEGAL.. so i bring you this my friends.. the best kept secret in automotive innovation:

http://www.phantomplate.com

you can thank me later.. flowers and Tiffany's jewelery are both acceptable form of showing your gratitude j/k
Old 07-29-2004, 10:04 AM

it's $40 a can, but well worth the $$ spent.

Quick Reply: Question about Signal/intersection tech