S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

S2000 vs yet another SRT-4...

Old 06-23-2003, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving home yesterday, a black srt-4 pulled a fly by on me. I wasn't having it...

so I got up next to him as we approached a red light(about to go green) at about 30mphs or so. so I made the choice of second gear, from the sounds of it, he went for first. Right as we reach the light, its goes green and we both hit it.

2nd gear for me, minimal bog, good clean take off for a roll. First for him, nothing but squealing tires and a whole lot of spin. This gave me a good 2-3 car jump.

This begins our up hill battle. I had top up, 1 passenger. Looked like he had 1 as well. Going up a hill didn't do me any favors but that's the way shit goes... Back to the story...

So, I took off and got about 3 cars on him due to his nice squealing launch . We took it up to about 110 when we let off for traffic. I still had about a car left, maybe 1/2 a car but he was defiantly cathing up, slowly but surely. I was friggen shocked.

So, from 30-110, I did get him. Perhaps if there was a better driver in the other car, it would have been different, but that's the way the street goes...

I'd like to see a flat road run with someone who can drive properly.

But in the end of this race, S2000 was ahead and that's all that matters...

Me = 1
Neon = 0
Old 06-23-2003, 06:03 AM

hehe nice. if it was a flat road it might have not been that close. he will do better up hill because of the there high torque and our low torque. awesome race.

MAtt
Old 06-23-2003, 06:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 02spas2k
[B]hehe nice.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 02spas2k
[B]hehe nice.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Zoran

No.

Uphill/downhill/flat road has nothing to do with engine torque. I really have no idea where are people getting this from.

If you are faster on a flat road, you will be faster uphill as well, period.
so your saing it takes the same amount of work to drive 2500lbs of car up and hill as it would to go down or even flat?

why are race tracks flat?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by ViruX23

so your saing it takes the same amount of work to drive 2500lbs of car up and hill as it would to go down or even flat?
No.

What I am saying is that when comparing TWO cars, it doesn't matter if the race is uphill, on a flat or downhill. The faster car will win in all three situations.

My point is that uphill hurts both cars equally. Which one has more torque (or weight) is irrelevant. The faster car will still be faster.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:49 AM

Does torque or horsepower accelerate you up the hill? I thought it was horsepower on level ground and torque up a hill.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:57 AM

litle more background.

my S is a 2001, bone stock.
hill was a 45 degree incline.

and the way i see it, between 2 cars that are similar powerthe car with more torque is the up hill advantage where as the more horsepower will get the advantage on flat or downhill

215hp vs 240hp
2xxtq vs 150hp
3000lbs vs 2500lbs

weather or not it works that way, my car always feels a little slower going up a hill. Im sure he was feeling it too but what im saing it has a greater effect on me because i have less tq. weither or not physics will agree, i dunno, this come purley off my ass-dyno...
Old 06-23-2003, 09:14 AM

Suppose you and Michael Johnson are running a race. Humans produce about .25 - .7HP depending on fitness level. Obviously Johnson is going to produce more power as well as torque than you (unless you have incredibly strong and fast legs). Assuming you both do not get tired and continually produced the same amount of consistent torque:

If you both sprinted an uphill race, Johnson would win.
If you both sprinted a downhill race, Johnson would win.
If you both sprinted a race on flat ground, Johnson would win.

Arguably by the same amount (in an ideal world).
Old 06-23-2003, 09:30 AM

there plenty more factors to this sorry to tell ya...

in your example, i would be producing more power then johnson. but johnson would be making more TQ.

plus, we dont produc the same aout of "consitiant torque"

in your example, Michael here would produce his right off the line and mine wouldnt come in till the top end. mine would not be consistent as well where his might be considered that.

either way, bad example. the faster car will always when but 2 almost equal cars on opsite ends of the scale go at it, results will be diffrent every time.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs yet another SRT-4...