S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

-04 or -06 s2k

Old 06-21-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -04 or -06 s2k

hello.
im a swede who is going to stay in ca for a while and im going to buy a s2k. problem is i dont know wich year. the dealer i
Old 06-21-2006, 06:51 PM

yes, the 04 and 06 are pretty much for the most part the exact same car.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:18 PM

I say, go with the 04 for 24k. That's ridiculously cheap for that kind of mileage. If you are not interested in the 04, please post the dealer which you got this deal from. I know alot of potential members would be interested in taking a look.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:58 PM

06 of course. smoother power curve, hondata choice. better seats IMO. better rims IMO. traction control. of course it will be newer and you wont be getting somebodys used car. logicaly as years progess so do the products. like from the old crappy cell phones to the nice ones we have.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff2005,Jun 21 2006, 10:58 PM
06 of course. smoother power curve, hondata choice. better seats IMO. better rims IMO. traction control. of course it will be newer and you wont be getting somebodys used car. logicaly as years progess so do the products. like from the old crappy cell phones to the nice ones we have.
Yes, get the new car if $10,000 means nothing to you. You can probably get an 06 for $34-35k out the door, but for 1,300 miles, that 04 is practiclly new. Unless you really really want white, get the silver - there's something to be said for getting the color you want though - I got white and a good deal but it took me four months.

That's a good deal on the 04, barring any serious problems, plus you should get the 7yr, 100k powertrain waranty and 4yr 48k as it should be a Honda Certified Pre-Owned car (make sure it is). Is the car at a Honda dealer? Personally, I'd only buy a CPO S2000 if I bought used, which may be why the price is so low if its at say a Toyota dealer. You can buy Honda extended warranties ($1,200) though, so it works out.

The differences between 06 and 04 are minimal, and if you are in sunny Cali, you're not going to need VSA much.

Also, what do you mean by smoother power curve? Both cars have the same engine.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 PM

same here...smoother power curve..?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM

24,000 for '04... out the door $ or + tax & license

If + t & l, not much different though

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Jun 21 2006, 10:11 PM]Also, what do you mean by smoother power curve? Both cars have the same engine.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by jdm_rsx,Jun 21 2006, 10:25 PM
same here...smoother power curve..?
i guess i shouldnt listen to people telling me wrong information (not being sarcastic). i swore i read somewhere that 06 power curver became a little smoother or maybe i misinterpited wrong aka i dont know wtf im talking about but im here to learn. even living in sunny cali, traction control has kicked in a few times and i wasnt trying to do anything stupid. i didnt read it was 1,300 miles. so nvm about the 06. im pretty sure you can find 06 for less. somebody in socal just got his for 29k. isnt DBW a big differnce considering it would cost a whole lotta money to get it on a 04-05. remeber i dont know wtf im tlaking about so educate me.

or maybe im confusing hondata reflash making the power curve smoother then the stock 06 engine being smoother. either way sorry for the wrong info.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know but to me, I really don't like buying other people's problems, meaning I hate buying used cars unless it is a beater car. I would take it out for a ride, look it up and down to look for anything out of place, or even get the VIN # and do a CarFax search for it and see what comes up.

I have to admit... that deal is really something though. 1300 mi on a car is nothing, especially the S2K and for $10000... sounds good to me.

Just wanted to add another point... the VSA has saved my a$$ twice... once I did it on purpose to see it kick in (rainy day and the car wanted to fish-tale going from 1st gear to 2nd gear really hard) and the second time was actually last night (I was making a turn a little too fast and the VSA let off the accelerator for me cause it was at night and the road was a little colder than usual)

Andre
Old 06-22-2006, 05:11 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

There is a class of car out ther that falls into the "not new" and "not a beater" category - these are cars that people buy new and find they don't like or can't drive, so they turn around and sell them back to the dealer for another car. I'd ask who the original owner was on that 04 and see if the dealership will tell you why the car was sold. I've heard lots of stories on why people do this, including people who don't like how it messes up their hair, people who can't get in and out of them, and people who just want the next new thing. Lots of people don't understand how severe an S2000 is, and don't like the ride too.

What you end up with are new cars with very low milage that are used by definition, but that you can find for a lot less money than new. The 04 may be a car like that, but you should ask the right questions.

- Who owned it before?
- Why did they sell it?
- Was it ever wrecked?
- Is it a CPO car?
- etc - I believe there is a buying checklist in the Introductions thread - make sure you read that

geoff2005 - no problem with the info, maybe you knew something I didn't! Both cars have the same engine though, but the 06 has dbw and vsa, so it may change the driving dynamic - haven't driven an 06 myself.

Quick Reply: -04 or -06 s2k