S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

08 CR I'm looking at buying..

Old 01-20-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 08 CR I'm looking at buying..

Hey fellas I came across a 08 BB CR with 28,000 miles that's coming up for sale shortly. The market seems to be high on these cars as they rarely come up for sale. Anyways it was involved in a left front end collision in 2010. Guy is aware and it shows up on carfax. He doesn't have pictures of the accident as he was not the owner of the car at the time. He's asking 30k for it. Car is in very good condition with all vin tags still present. Does that seem like an appropriate price? I originally thought it's a little high but do to the fact they are never for sale what are you guys thinking? Clean title as well. Thanks for any insight.
Matt
Old 01-20-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know prices have been strong, particularly on the CR models. However, $30k does seem high for one that's been through the collision center. I suppose before I dropped down that much money on a used car, I'd take it to a body shop and have them do an inspection. Ask them to look the car over and tell you what's been repaired. Look at the car in bright light and low light to look for paint color/finish mismatch. Typically the body shops aren't able to match the factory orange peel finish, the paint will look much more smooth in the area that's been repaired. Take a magnet with you, the hood is aluminum, but all the other body parts are steel, check for body filler. Ideally, they will have replaced any of the damaged body panels and not applied any filler. At least you might get an idea of how extensive the damage was.

Do all the VIN tags really match on all the panels? If it's been through a body shop, chance are they won't all match.

I'm not a low ball kind of guy, I think the S2000's are worth more than people are willing to believe. However, possibly $25k is more inline with the value of a CR that's had repairs.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:24 PM

All the VIN tags are still present. I haven't seen the car in person cause it's a 12 hour drive away. Good idea with the magnet tho. I honestly don't think it's the car for me as I don't auto cross and I wouldn't mod a single thing on it. So from a collectors stand point being in an accident I would assume it would affect the value down the road. I've been driving myself nuts trying to find the right one. At least the market is strong for people that already own one.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

The front fenders on this car are paper thin, and the plastic bumpers crack pretty easily. So if the damage wasn't bad enough to replace either of them (they're both VIN tagged, you should ask for pics), then the accident was probably pretty trivial, in which case 30K would be a fair price.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:49 PM

I know vin tags is the main thing. I'm assuming it isn't original paint obviously. The biggest thing is I'm not sure how other buyers in the future would handle this fact, if I'd ever even sell it
Old 01-22-2018, 05:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I suggest passing on it if the intent of the car is to be driven around few years and sold off. Unless it is a shop building a car for track I like to think most buyers of s2000 would not accept a car with accident on car fax. Which means when you go and try to sell the car, you'll have issues.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I checked out a similar condition and similarly priced S2000 CR in the Nothern VA (Manassas Area) last month. It looked good in pictures and had all VIN tags. In person the car was complete piece of junk. Every single panel had been poorly painted and the car was mechanically very weak. Make sure you check it out in person. There is a reason it is priced lower than market value.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:16 PM

Is that the one for $25k? I always run across that via google, I didn’t realize that one had a bad past. I’m 12 hours away from the car I’m looking at so it’s hard to check it out without being committed
Old 01-25-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by mattk20
I’m 12 hours away from the car I’m looking at so it’s hard to check it out without being committed
There lies the problem.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:00 AM

Ya living in North Dakota has limited options. There’s literally more tumble weeds then cars on the road

Quick Reply: 08 CR I'm looking at buying..