S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

1 year storage of s2k

Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 year storage of s2k

Hi, I leaving for Asia in November I live in the southwest and will store the car in a rented storage facility. The car won't be driven for a year. I'm little confused by all the advice how to do it,so wonder if anyone on the forum has stored their S2k for about a year. My plan is to change all the fluids, some people feel I should fill the tank and add stabilizer and some say leave as little gas as possible and add stabilizer.I'm going to fill the tires to max pressure and I have an aunt who will push the car a foot or two every month to prevent flat spots.i've heard to crack the windows a little, is it a good idea to unlock the top?I Heard stuffing my exhaust with cloth will prevent critters.I rather not put my car on blocks because I have no one to help me and I thought moving the car could save the tires. If anyone has the experience or knowledge of a year storage of a car it would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Definitely use Stabil and fill the gas tank to prevent condensation and rust.

Use steel wool instead of cloth in the exhaust.

Unclip the top and leave the windows down a 1/4 inch.

Place bait blocks along the walls of the storage unit. Nail them to a small piece of wood. Make sure there is no food or water source in the storage unit.

Pump the tires up to max and leave it parked. Any flat spots will work themselves out after a few miles.

Put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder. Crank it for a couple of seconds without the plugs in to distribute the oil.

Take the battery out and put it on a tender.

I stored a car this way for close to 18 months. Put the battery in. It fired right up and ran great.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM

one word

CARCOON

Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM

^LMAO HAHAHAHA
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM

i must admit these do look odd but if your planning on keeping a car off the road over winter or while your out of the country this is the way

it works by....

Isolating the car from the constantly changing temperature and humidity of the ambient environment. it stabalizes by removing excess moisture, fuel/oil vapor and other contaminates from within the mini environment. it ventilates using the patented Active Airflow Concept. Circulate isolated circulation within using Activated Carbon Filters under pressure.

keeps dust out and keeps your interior from going mouldy and keeps your brakes from seizing up etc etc

alot of people use them in ireland for storing away corolla GT coupes (AE86) without the fear of them rusting away
Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want that!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

definitly use stabil and Fill all the way up. The less air in the gas tank there is the less moisture can accumalate. If you have jack stands put it on them at all 4 corners to prevent flat spots on the tires. The other above advise =
Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice in this thread already, but checkout the FAQ on storage in the Under The Hood section:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/247...-storage-tips/
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leeK9
one word

CARCOON

^This.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Use this for your tires

http://www.autogeek.net/tire-supports.html

Quick Reply: 1 year storage of s2k