S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

1st gear clunk

Old 10-06-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gear clunk

I used the search option and still counldn't find an answer. But I did notice some owners have this problem and some don't.

MY04 makes clunking sound everytime I put my car in 1st gear. I hold the clutch down and put it in first and it makes that clunk sound...But if I hold the clutch down for a while before I put it in 1st gear...it doesn't. It's really weird. I drove a different S and it didn't make any clunk sound.

I also noticed the same issue with the rx8 when I test drove one. I drove it 3 times, each time at a different dealership. Out of the 3 rx8's I drove, one particular rx8 made that clunk sound when I put it in first gear.

Does anyone know why it's doing that...??? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:23 PM

Yea I have my04 with 6200 miles on it and it clunks when i put it into first gear as well, happens sometimes depends on the situation.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by blackfx35,Oct 6 2004, 05:49 PM
I used the search option and still counldn't find an answer. But I did notice some owners have this problem and some don't.

MY04 makes clunking sound everytime I put my car in 1st gear. I hold the clutch down and put it in first and it makes that clunk sound...But if I hold the clutch down for a while before I put it in 1st gear...it doesn't. It's really weird. I drove a different S and it didn't make any clunk sound.

I also noticed the same issue with the rx8 when I test drove one. I drove it 3 times, each time at a different dealership. Out of the 3 rx8's I drove, one particular rx8 made that clunk sound when I put it in first gear.

Does anyone know why it's doing that...??? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
there's a thread around here that explains it. something about clutch disengaging and driveshaft spinning too fast... something like that.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 PM

My MY01 does it sometimes. I'd be curious to read that thread about it. I'm assuming it's harmless just like the TSB 054?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:59 AM

Mine does it occassionally too. The sound seems to come from the rear. Dealer said it is "normal."
Old 10-07-2004, 04:31 AM

This was explained indepth sone time ago by "woodwork" who is a engineer for Honda in California.

Here's a simplified version.

He says that if you sit at a light with the clutch out an in neutral, the transmission spins at the same speed as the engine.

If you depress the clutch and try to move it into gear too fast, without giving the transmission time to spin down, you get a 'clunk' which is just the built-in drivetrain looseness being taken up abruptly as everything 'connects'.

The cure is when you depress the clutch, give it at least 2 seconds for the tranny to spin down and the clunk will be gone.

Regards,
BD
Old 10-07-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Boston Duce,Oct 7 2004, 04:31 AM
This was explained indepth sone time ago by "woodwork" who is a engineer for Honda in California.

Here's a simplified version.

He says that if you sit at a light with the clutch out an in neutral, the transmission spins at the same speed as the engine.

If you depress the clutch and try to move it into gear too fast, without giving the transmission time to spin down, you get a 'clunk' which is just the built-in drivetrain looseness being taken up abruptly as everything 'connects'.

The cure is when you depress the clutch, give it at least 2 seconds for the tranny to spin down and the clunk will be gone.

Regards,
BD
ya, that was it.... I knew I was close
sorta...
Old 10-07-2004, 10:00 AM

I have the clunk as well. Also, when the car is 'cold' 1st gear is sometimes difficult to engage. Most symptoms disappear as soon as the car warms up. It doesn't really bother me that much anymore. Seems like a very common problem.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:23 AM

not this again
Old 10-08-2004, 06:51 AM

The thing I dont understand is that some S does this and some don't???

Quick Reply: 1st gear clunk