S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2 year car storage - Should I interrupt?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 year car storage - Should I interrupt?

Hi guys,

My S2000 has about 17,000 km on it.

Last October I put in in storage. I took all the recommended storage steps except for changing the oil. I had Amsoil in there from the beginning of that season (maybe 2000 km driven).

I haven’t touched the car since last October, it’s been under the car cover with the windows open a crack, battery disconnected, stabile added, handbrake disengaged, tires full pressure, etc.

I need to keep it this was until spring.

Should I interrupt the storage to give it a drive this month just to lube all the moving parts or would it be okay to leave it as is until next spring?

Thanks all!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Nothing special about Amway Amsoil engine oil.

From the owners manual (emphasis added):
If the vehicle is to be stored for a
longer period, it should be
supported on jackstands so the
tires are off the ground.
Cover the vehicle with a
‘‘breathable’’ cover, one made
from a porous material such as
cotton. Non-porous materials, such
as plastic sheeting, trap moisture,
which can damage the paint.
If possible, periodically run the
engine until it reaches full
operating temperature (the
cooling fan cycles on and off
twice). Preferably, do this once a
month.
-- Chuck
Old 10-17-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Best practice is to store it, and not touch it. If you drive it, if you don't get it up to full operating temp, and by that I mean not just how many bars of coolant temp, but getting the oil fully up to temp, and the full exhaust system up to temp, then you are doing more harm than good.

A byproduct of combustion is moisture. Not getting up to full temp just contaminates the oil with moisture, along with cylinders and exhaust system.

Driving it also gets it dirty, so putting the cover back on gets the cover dirty, then every time you take cover off and put it back on again, you are dragging that dirt across the paint.

Its easier to just leave it alone. If its actually on jack stands to save the tires from flat spots, taking it out for a drive becomes a bigger effort. If you leave it on the stands and just startup the engine, it will take longer to warm up than driving it would. Its a bad idea to warm up a car by idling it. A cold engine causes more wear. So running it up to temp by idling it is not a good idea at all.

One thing driving it does do is wipe the rust off the brake disks. If it were my car, and if it were on stands, I would just spin the tires by hand once a month and call it good. Leave everything else in stasis.
The following users liked this post:
liybzd (10-19-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I have an S that I am essentially storing for about 4 years. I've decided to store it 6 months at a time. Every six months I put a couple of hundred miles on it and then I put it back in storage. I have no clue if its the right thing to do. But, it feels right to me, so that is what I do. No warranties express or implied.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Car Analogy makes some good points (coolant temperature vs. oil temperature but one). Neverheless, I find it hard to argue with the manufacturer's recommendation of starting the car at least once per month when stored. If you take it out and drive it then it should completely warm up. Mine never leaves the garage during the winter months yet every month I still start it and let it idle, though I also bring the rpm up for short periods once it's warm.

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 10-18-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

i leave mine with the cover on it all winter in the garage. In the spring, I remove the fuel pump fuse, and blip the starter button until the oil light goes out. plug the fuse back in, then start it up. I know Honda says start every month- I suppose you could use a shot of engine fogging spray before storage.
darcy
Old 10-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

A couple of easy choices: (1) follow the Honda owner's manual or (2) ignore Honda and trust the Internet to know best.

-- Chuck
Old 10-18-2018, 04:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

For me, cold starting an engine once a month is just unnecessary wear. I agree with CA and Darcy, put it away and then take it out once the season allows. RPG51 has a sensible plan for the long term as well.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dumb question... if the car is not on jack stands, would it be better to release the hand brake and engage first gear?
Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Yes, either leave it alone, or the rpg model, drive it for real, like a couple hundred miles. This let it idle till its warm is just foolish.

Yeah, its in the Honda manual, but why is it there? Is it just to keep the battery charged? Would not surprise me if they didn't want to tell people to use a trickle charger for fear of liability when some idiot blows up their battery in their face. So the safer thing is to just tell them to start it once a month so they don't get a bunch of battery warranty claims every spring.

Quick Reply: 2 year car storage - Should I interrupt?