S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

5pt racing harness conversion for the S's seats

Old 01-21-2003, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5pt racing harness conversion for the S's seats

I love the 5pt racing seats from companies like sparco, but don't want to give up my beloved leather seats. Any feasability in getting someone to make an aftermarket conversion kit. Another possibility is sending your seats away to have it done, that or an exchange for already done seats. Is it realistic?

Brandon
Old 01-21-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted the racing harness as well, but can't see giving up the wonderful OEM seats. I think they look the best.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen 4pt harnesses used with the OEM seats and without modification but not a 5pt. After the plastic head rest piece is removed the top two straps were placed through the hole and the plastic section was then replaced. Not sure how comfortable it is or how much stress will be caused on the seats upper section just given info on what I have seen.

Konrad
Old 01-21-2003, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not advisable, not recommended, and I would do my best to talk you out of it if you wanted to buy the harnesses. its a safety issue - and without 1) proper roll over protection and 2) proper mounting points, you are playing with your life if something should happen. of course nothing 'should' happen, but it does.

but to answer your question, nope, no way to do it with the stock seats. maybe some heafty modification that would be difficult to justify the cost. the belts will either work 'ok' for you if you have extremely wide shoulders and a large torso, or they will pinch your neck. both of those reasons are because the harnesses will need to be mounted outside the eyehole or inside the eyehole of the seat.

I do sell some unpublished seats that also come in leather that fit the S, have great eye holes for harnesses and are also reclinable like the stockers. they are about average price to the other sparcos out there. if you want any info on them, let me know.