S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

9000 launch

Old 08-05-2001, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9000 launch

Has anyone done this? Can it be done safely? I was just wondering. Thanks
Old 08-05-2001, 07:31 PM

Never done so and i wouldnt be brave enough , probably need a new clutch afterwoods
Old 08-05-2001, 09:02 PM

I don't think the clutch will holds..it'll slip...unless you're addicted to the smells of burning clutch....go try it...
Old 08-05-2001, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the clutch wouldn't slip. You are slamming it so hard, it would grab and your tires would spin...hopefully. Then you would have to feather the throttle to stop the spinning.

But the clutch wouldn't spin/smell....ONLY if the surface was so tacky and your tires so grippy that your tires didn't spin and the clutch and drivetrain had to absorb all the impact.

As long as the tires spin, you're OK...it's just at a 9k lauch, which I have never done nor will I do, your tires will spin for a while.

Old 08-05-2001, 09:51 PM

How funny - news just in , my silly friend just rang me and told me he burnt the clutch out in his St00k - guess how , that right launching it at 9 grand , it was a very smoky affair - wheels didnt grab , clutch slipped and smoked - how funny a question has been posted about a 9k dump and we have an answer - as i said before i wouldnt do it , after this sad event i suggest you dont either.... treat her with love and respect
Old 08-05-2001, 11:11 PM

I've seen a video of it done...you'll get lots of wheelspin.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by goul
...wheels didnt grab , clutch slipped and smoked...
I'd think that either the wheels would grab and the clutch would slip or vice versa. I've never heard of both happening at the same time. Weird...
Old 08-06-2001, 05:14 AM

They do it in Best Motoring but I certainly don't know how ... There is the definitely wheel spin but not much and clutch slip, I couldn't tell for sure. I've tried it personally once attempting to drag my friend in an VI STi Coupe.

The clutch slipped and definitely burnt a bit from gear 1, I shifted up to gear 2 at about 7,000RPMs and up to gear 3 at about 4,000RPMs when I finally stop shifting and decided to stop the car when the speed was definitely going no where good to a launch. The tyres didn't grip on the new asphalt and I started fishtailing, mind you my tyres are pretty new just run-in after awhile.

Old 08-06-2001, 05:27 AM
Sev

Originally posted by goul
How funny - news just in , my silly friend just rang me and told me he burnt the clutch out in his St00k - guess how , that right launching it at 9 grand , it was a very smoky affair - wheels didnt grab , clutch slipped and smoked - how funny a question has been posted about a 9k dump and we have an answer - as i said before i wouldnt do it , after this sad event i suggest you dont either.... treat her with love and respect
He must of got off the clutch slowly.

AND BTW, there is no benefit in doing this, some people think that it is faster, NO, it is SLOWER, you will spin your wheels and sit there like a &^&^&
Old 08-06-2001, 07:45 AM

Yeah, I've done it. You'll spin the wheels for a lot longer than you'd like (through the whole 1st gear) but clutch had absolutelly no problem with it. No slip no smell - just a very possitive 'grab'.

There was no real differenc ein the way it grabbed than when launched from 6k revs ... it just sun the wheels a lot longer (of course).

ps. I've never had the clutch slip or smell.

Quick Reply: 9000 launch