S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

accidents

Old 12-27-2000, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone noticed that there has been an extraordinary amount of accidents with S2ks. Any theories?
Old 12-27-2000, 03:23 PM

People drive them very fast.
Old 12-27-2000, 03:36 PM

Nope, I don't think there has been a huge number of accidents. I think what we are seeing is that we are a bunch of enthusiasts who tend to investigate /analyse /publicise these things whereas owners of other vehicles are not interested enough to do that.

Consequently the whole issue of accidents is just more omnipresent in our minds.
Old 12-27-2000, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there are several factors:

1. The fact this is a RWD and many folks are used to FWD. The two handle and are corrected very differently.

2. Often the conditions are less than ideal. Take mine for example. There was no snow, but it was like 5 below zero, bad bad bad for S02's!

3. Poor correction when in trouble. I think if you want to push this car, you need to take some driving schools. Pure and simple, learn the car...!

4. Input is too abrupt. I disagree with those who say the car is twitchy or tailhappy. What the car DOES do is punish incorrect input. It's rewards smoothness and I think people who get into trouble are too abrupt...smooth is the key. I have learned this at driving schools...(yes, that's a hint)

5. Learn the car before you push it and in cold or wet (with S-02's) TAKE IT EASY!! And make sure the tires are up to operating temperature before you do anything crazy!

That is about it...!
Old 12-27-2000, 03:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I attribute it to two factors:

1) The idiot who ran into me in a parking lot two months after I got the car.

2) The second idiot who ran into me two weeks after I got it out of the shop for repairs needed due to idiot #1.

I can't vouch for anyone else's accidents. The solution to all of our traffic problems is to get all the idiots off the road. When I was growing up I was told that driving was a privelege and not a right, but it sure doesn't seem that way. Rant mode off
Old 12-27-2000, 04:09 PM
dbw

i think what we need here is some perspective......i was at a friend's body shop last week [who specializes in porsches] and the amount of bent,scraped,mushed and mangled p-cars was truly amazing!!!![we're talking 2 dozen at least,mostly under 1 year old boxsters and 900 series]....and out here we have no good excuse other than stupidity to run into each other....[sorry,ice,snow,you know,winter..]and i can't even imagine what the number of REALLY totalled porsches could be...so, i guess that my point is that if cars are driven at all, ther's a chance they'll get in an accident no matter how much we love them and protect them......
Old 12-27-2000, 05:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As anyone who knows statistics will quickly tell you, we don't have a true random sample here. In fact, what we have is a collection of anecdotes, hardly the basis for making any judgments about whether this car is more or less likely to get into accidents.

The best measures, since they are based on actuarial data drawn from real accidents, are insurance rates for the S2000 vs. comparable cars.

I pay no additional premium for the S2000 over my Mazda Millenia, which is comparably priced. Frrankly, that tells me a lot more about accident rates for the car than posts on this board.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:15 PM

Many of the members of this forum are younger than their posts imply. Stories of 700 degree spinouts and loose rear ends and fender benders and S2000Chris-esque critiques of what a shoddy piece of crap the car is (because he drove it into the ground) should be read lightly. Keep everything contextual: at any given time, you're probably reading something an 18 year old wrote. Yes, some 18 year olds are mature-- blah blah--but most aren't.

Old 12-27-2000, 11:12 PM

I think most accidents (other than the ones who were hit by another driver who was totally at fault) are due to the driver trying to drive beyond his/her capabilites for the given weather and/or traffic conditions. I know I have been very fortunate several times not to have had an accident. I think it just hearing about some of the accidents here has made me drive a little less aggressively, especially in marginal weather conditions.
Old 12-28-2000, 02:34 AM

When you put people in charge of huge chunks of metal traveling at high speed, it's just a matter of time before they collide.

Let me ask you this:

Has anyone on this board ever put 100K miles on any car with no body damage?

I put 90K on my Saturn with no accidents, but someone once lowered the roof 3 inches trying to steal it.

My Jeep, on the other hand, has only one remaining original body panel. The right passenger door. The others have all been replaced by a variety of idiots and animals.

Quick Reply: accidents